problem with the speed of the page

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by vagelis, Sep 27, 2010.

1. i see that my site is a little slow
    in my localhost it is fast but in the server not

but i see that videos are displayed without problems so i dont think that is from bandwith
    but i am not sure

which are the main things that make a page go slow??
    sessions can be one of that??
    or connections with database??or something else?

2. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

is it only slow on the first load? could be that the app is taking some time to compile.

3. mjp

mjp

That is always going to be the case.

You can't really compare the speed of a localhost server that runs only your site from a machine right in front of you to a server on the internet. A live production server on the internet will never be as fast as localhost. You should expect to see a speed difference.

But Bruce mentioned the main thing that is going to make a .NET site appear sluggish, and that is the compiling time when it first loads. It will stay in memory for 20 minutes after it loads, but if it's idle for more than 20 minutes it will be released from memory and have to compile again next time you hit it.

Database calls can also add lag time if your database is not optimized. How much lag depends on how you have designed your database and the queries.

4. ...Out of curiosity did you forget and leave debug mode on?

5. i have this

<compilation debug="true" strict="false" explicit="true">

so debug=true

why are you asking??

6. ...If you are running on-line with debug mode on your pages will be slower and they will be compiled more often. Turn debug off the pages will be lighter and once hit they will load faster each additional time until they are modified again.

7. ok thank you i will do it..