Rendering Reports housed in Reporting Service Server on your ASP.NET pages

Discussion in 'Databases' started by Bruce, May 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.
  1. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

The report viewer control is a control that came with VS.NET 2005 that enables you to embed reports directly into your ASP.NET pages. The control can be configured to operate in 2 modes, local mode and remote mode.

When local mode is used, the control processes and renders report using the built-in engine and the report definition files on the web server.

When remote mode is used, the control will display report that is processed by the reporting service engine.

In this post, we will focus on how to configure report viewer control to display reports housed in Reporting Service 2005.

In order for the control to communicate to the Reporting Service 2005 server, you will need to specify the following information:

- Reporting Service Username
    - Reporting Service Password
    - Reporting Service Server URL (Can be found in the control panel)
    - Report Path: full path to your report. (The path to your report root can also be found in the control panel)

Assuming that you have uploaded the report to the MS SQL 2005 Reporting Server, it can be rendered using the ReportViewer control as follows:

1) Set the ProcessingMode="Remote" for the reportviewer control.

2) Under "ServerReport" property element of the reportviewer control set the following:

ReportPath="/[DASP_UserName]/reports/Service Report"
    ReportServerUrl="https://rs2k501.discountasp.net/ReportServer"

Example:

<asp:ReportViewer BackColor="green" Width="800px" Height="800px" ID="ReportViewer1" runat="server" ProcessingMode="Remote">
    <ServerReport DisplayName="MyReport" ReportPath="/[DASP_UserName]/reports/Service Report" ReportServerUrl="https://rs2k501.discountasp.net/ReportServer" />
    </asp:ReportViewer>

By default, the ReportViewer control connects to the report server as the ASP.NET thread user.So,you need to specify a different user (reporting service user) by setting ReportViewer.ServerReport.ReportServerCredentials to an instance of your own implementation of IReportServerCredentials interface. (See:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa983458(VS.80).aspx)

Implementation of the IReportServerCredentials class can be done as follows (Replace, userName, password and domain with your reporting service credentials and domain name respectively):

<Serializable()> _
    Public NotInheritable Class MyReportServerCredentials
    Implements IReportServerCredentials

Public ReadOnly Property ImpersonationUser() As WindowsIdentity _
    Implements IReportServerCredentials.ImpersonationUser
    Get
    'Use the default windows user. Credentials will be
    'provided by the NetworkCredentials property.
    Return Nothing

End Get
    End Property

Public ReadOnly Property NetworkCredentials() As ICredentials _
    Implements IReportServerCredentials.NetworkCredentials
    Get

Return New NetworkCredential(userName, password, domain)

End Get
    End Property

Public Function GetFormsCredentials(ByRef authCookie As Cookie,ByRef userName As String,ByRef password As String,ByRef authority As String)As Boolean _
    Implements IReportServerCredentials.GetFormsCredentials

authCookie = Nothing
    userName = Nothing
    password = Nothing
    authority = Nothing

'Not using form credentials
    Return False
    End Function

End Class

Now the ServerReport.ReportServerCredentials property of the reportviewer control can be set to the instance of the above implementation of the IReportServerCredentials interface as follows:

ReportViewer1.ServerReport.ReportServerCredentials = New MyReportServerCredentials()

Sample application:daspstaff00.web120.discountasp.net/Report/default.aspx

2. Bruce

3. Bruce, this given example does not work with SQL 2000 reporting serverlike "https://rs.discountasp.net/ReportServer", and gives following error "The attempt to connect to the report server failed. Check your connection information and that the report server is a compatible version. The request failed with HTTP status 404: Not Found."

Please suggest code change for SQL 2000 Services.

sample code lines in web page are following (Studio 2005 ASP.NET 2.0 ReportViewer control)

ReportViewer1.ProcessingMode = Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ProcessingMode.Remote;
    ReportViewer1.ServerReport.ReportServerUrl = new Uri("https://rs.discountasp.net/ReportServer");
    ReportViewer1.ServerReport.ReportPath = reportPath;
    MyReportServerCredentials credentials = new MyReportServerCredentials();
    ReportViewer1.ServerReport.ReportServerCredentials = credentials;

and returning "new System.Net.NetworkCredential("myUserName", "myPassword"); }" from MyReportServerCredentials.

The reportPath and ReportServerUrl are correct because these reports are working fine using Microsoft.Samples.ReportingServices.ReportViewer control but with Prompt-screen for credentials.

Thanks

4. Bruce, thanks for this article.

5. I need some assistance with Microsoft SQL Reporting Services. My problem is quite straight forward. I am using a ASP.NET 2.0 ReportControl locally on my machine and I would like to access a report which is hosted on another server within the network. How could I access this report. I am getting the following error:</o:p>
    </o:p>
    <UL type=disc>
    <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">The attempt to connect to the report server failed. Check your connection information and that the report server is a compatible version. </o:p>
    <UL type=circle>
    <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l0 level2 lfo1; tab-stops: list 1.0in">The request failed with HTTP status 404: Not Found. </o:p>[/list][/list]
    <%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="Default.aspx.cs" Inherits="_Default" %></o:p>
    <%@ Register Assembly="Microsoft.ReportViewer.WebForms, Version=8.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"</o:p>
    Namespace="Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms" TagPrefix="rsweb" %></o:p>
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"></o:p>
    <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" ></o:p>
    <head runat="server"></o:p>
    <title>Untitled Page</title></o:p>
    </head></o:p>
    <form id="form1" runat="server"></o:p>
    <div></o:p>
    <rsweb:ReportViewer ID="ReportViewer1" runat="server" Font-Names="Verdana" Font-Size="8pt" Height="400px" ProcessingMode="Remote" Width="400px"></o:p>
    <ServerReport ReportPath="/bdsvr16/Pages/Reports/Phishing/WF/Country+Report" ReportServerUrl="http://bdsvr16/reports/" /></o:p>
    </rsweb:ReportViewer></o:p>
    </div></o:p>
    </form></o:p>
    </body></o:p>
    </html></o:p>
    Thanks.</o:p>

6. Bruce

this error is usually caused by an invalid path to the report

7. the path is correct when I view it in IE directly. It does not work in the control. Any suggestions on what to do?

8. I get this error now:

• <LI style="DISPLAY: inline; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">Client found response content type of '', but expected 'text/xml'. The request failed with an empty response.

9. Bruce

Are you running this on our server or your own server? I can't be sure how your environment is setup.

10. Bruce, thanks for your reply. The control is located on my local machine and I am trying to accessa report which is on another server within the net work. The URL of that report is http://bdsvr16/reportserver/?%2fReports%2fPhishing%2fWF%2fCountry+Report&amp;rs:Command=Render. Do you have any simple work arounds to solve this?? Thanks.

This is the error I get:

• <LI style="DISPLAY: inline; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">The attempt to connect to the report server failed. Check your connection information and that the report server is a compatible version.

• <LI style="DISPLAY: inline; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">The request failed with HTTP status 404: Not Found.
        <LI style="DISPLAY: inline; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">
        <LI style="DISPLAY: inline; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">

<form id="form1" runat="server">

<div>

<rsweb:ReportViewer ID="ReportViewer1" runat="server" Font-Names="Verdana" Font-Size="8pt" Height="400px" ProcessingMode="Remote" Width="400px">

<ServerReport ReportPath="http://bdsvr16/Reports/Pages/Report.aspx?ItemPath=%2fReports%2fPhishing%2fWF%2fCountry+Report" DisplayName="MyReport" ReportServerUrl="http://bdsvr16/reports" />

</rsweb:ReportViewer>

</div>

</form>

11. Bruce

Sorry.. I really don't have much insight on the problem because it all depends on how your RS server is setup.

12. Is there a VB example of this?
    Does this code have to added to every page with a report viewer control?

I was pointed to this thread by support as a way to solve this error:

• <LI style="DISPLAY: inline; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized.

<LI style="DISPLAY: inline; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">Is this the only solution to this problem? Is sure looks like a RS configuration/permission problem to me?

<LI style="DISPLAY: inline; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">Thanks,

<LI style="DISPLAY: inline; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">Tim

13. Bruce

Can you post your code snippet?

14. I should clarify I have not tried the code that is posted here. I am simply trying to display are report using the report viewer control in a web page.

<rsweb:ReportViewer ID="ReportViewer1" runat="server" Font-Names="Verdana" Font-Size="8pt" Height="387px" ProcessingMode="Remote" Width="925px">

<ServerReport ReportPath="/oecommnet00/reports/OEReports/DistrictList" ReportServerUrl="https://rs2k501.discountasp.net/reportserver" />

</rsweb:ReportViewer>

I was pointed to this post asa way to fix the error. There are a couple problems with this though. First, is there a VB solution. Second, does this mean we have to add this code to all of our web pages that are using the report viewer control.

I have also found that when I run my applicaiton locally the report works just fine against the DiscountASP report server. But, the same page does not work from out website posted at DiscountASP. What's up with that?

15. Bruce

This was the whole point of this posting. You cannot simply change the tag and expect the asp.net page to work. You'll have to add the backend code as described in the original posting to send the authentication token to the reporting service.

>>I was pointed to this post asa way to fix the error. There are a couple problems with this though. First, is there a VB solution. Second, does this mean we have to add this code to all of our web pages that are using the report viewer control.

I am not an expert in VB.NET. I'll ask my collegue to post something next wk.

As far as adding the code to all the pages, it really depends on how your application is developed.

In general, I think using ASP.NET application to render reporting service report is a pain in the a**. In most cases, I would recommend rendering the report directly with report viewer control.

16. Hi Bruce

Regarding your comment:

"By default, the ReportViewer control connects to the report server as the ASP.NET thread user.So,you need to specify a different user (reporting service user) by setting ReportViewer.ServerReport.ReportServerCredentials to an instance of your own implementation of IReportServerCredentials interface. (See:http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-US/library/microsoft.reporting.webforms.ireportservercredentials%20(VS.80).aspx)"

Where exactly is this different user, this reporting services user. Do I have to create it, if so where and with what permissions. Please provide me me with as much information as possible as user authentication and permissions are not my strong point.

Once I have this reporting services user details I cantry your code.

Many thanks

17. Bruce

You can use the report user we created for you when we set up the account. See the report service manager in the control panel for more details.

18. Here is the VB code from the link http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-US/library/microsoft.reporting.webforms.ireportservercredentials%20(VS.80).aspx

In Web Developer I put it in the Code Behind (on seperate page). See the comment about placing login values in Web.config.

Imports System.Net

Imports System.Security.Principal

Imports Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms

Partial Class rptView_Vendors

Inherits System.Web.UI.Page

Protected Sub Page_Init(ByVal sender As Object, _

ByVal e As System.EventArgs) _

Handles Me.Init

ReportViewer1.ServerReport.ReportServerCredentials = _

New MyReportServerCredentials()

End Sub

End Class

<Serializable()> _

Public NotInheritable Class MyReportServerCredentials

Implements IReportServerCredentials

Public ReadOnly Property ImpersonationUser() As WindowsIdentity _

Implements IReportServerCredentials.ImpersonationUser

Get

'Use the default windows user. Credentials will be

'provided by the NetworkCredentials property.

Return Nothing

End Get

End Property

Get

'Put (Add) this user information into web.config. In the:

' <configuration>

' <appSettings>

' .

' .

' .

' <add key="MyReportViewerUser" value="Your RepSrv Username given by discountASP"/>

' <add key="MyReportViewerPassword" value="Your RepSrv password"/>

' <add key="MyReportViewerDomain" value="What ever Your domaine name is" />

' </appSettings>

' .

' .

' .

' </configuration>

'Read the user information from the web.config file.

'By reading the information on demand instead of storing

'it, the credentials will not be stored in session,

'reducing the vulnerable surface area to the web.config

'file, which can be secured with an ACL.

'User name

Dim userName As String = _

ConfigurationManager.AppSettings("MyReportViewerUser")

If (String.IsNullOrEmpty(userName)) Then

Throw New Exception("Missing user name from web.config file")

End If

'Password

Dim password As String = _

ConfigurationManager.AppSettings("MyReportViewerPassword")

If (String.IsNullOrEmpty(password)) Then

Throw New Exception("Missing password from web.config file")

End If

'Domain

Dim domain As String = _

ConfigurationManager.AppSettings("MyReportViewerDomain")

If (String.IsNullOrEmpty(domain)) Then

Throw New Exception("Missing domain from web.config file")

End If

End Get

End Property

Public Function GetFormsCredentials(ByRef authCookie As Cookie, _

ByRef userName As String, _

ByRef password As String, _

ByRef authority As String) _

As Boolean _

Implements IReportServerCredentials.GetFormsCredentials

authCookie = Nothing

userName = Nothing

password = Nothing

authority = Nothing

'Not using form credentials

Return False

End Function

End Class

19. I have to implement
    Get
    End Get
    End Property

What I have to replace for 'domain' in NetworkCredential(rs_xxxxxx, MyPassword, 'domain')?
    ifmy Reporting Services account is rs_xxxxxx

[email protected] wrote:
    Dear Alexei,

Would you please explain exactly what you are requesting? Are you asking to have us register a domain for you? Please let us know if so and exactly the name of the domain that you wish to register? Thanks

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Thank you,

Joe R.

DiscountASP.NET - Microsoft Gold Certified Partner
    - asp.netPRO Magazine 2007 Readers' Choice Award for Best Hosting Service
    - Visual Studio Magazine 2007 Readers' Choice Award for Best Hosting Service

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 18:42:06 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I need a Domain name(ReportingServiceDomain) to use Report Viewer web control for Reporting Services 2005.
    > My Reporting services user name is rs_xxxxxx
    >
    > Best regards.
    > Alexei.
    >
    </BLOCKQUOTE>

20. Bruce

I don't think you need to supply domain argument. Try skip it completely.

21. Hi,

I am using reporting service of SQL server 2005 and want to deploy the report generated in my web application.

I have taken a report viewer control to view the report.You have mentioned that the path for the report server URL and report path will be available from the control panel, but I am not getting it. Can you please give me the full path of finding the server URL.

1. Log into your Control Panel.
    2. If you have added SSRS click on:
      Database Management
      MS SQL SSRS 2005
    3. You will now see two categories of links and information for your account.

Salute,
    Mark

22. Hi, Just wanted to say thanks to Bruce also.

Once I got the VB code in my Code behind file and added the call to the Page_Load procedure it worked fine.

Must admit it took a few minutes to figure out that the username didn't have to exist on SQL Server. Luckily the Discount ASP.NET SSRS Control Panel doesn't permit usernames > 10 chars so that was a good clue.

Lee.

23. Hi Bruce..

I have read all post in this thread..and also tried all but still i got the error "The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized." [​IMG]

Below is the code which i used to bind report to my report viewer control.

-- -------------- start code ----------------------------------------------------

using System;

using System.Data;

using System.Configuration;

using System.Collections;

using System.Web;

using System.Web.Security;

using System.Web.UI;

using System.Web.UI.WebControls;

using System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebParts;

using System.Web.UI.HtmlControls;

using Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms;

using Microsoft.ReportingServices;

using System.Security.Principal;

using System.Net;

public partial class OCRV_Master_RentalAgreement : System.Web.UI.Page

{

protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)

{

if (Request.QueryString["ReservationId"] == null || string.IsNullOrEmpty(Request.QueryString["ReservationId"]) == true)

{

return;

}

else

{

QuoteDisplay objQutDisplay = new QuoteDisplay();

try

{

rptvRentalAgeement.ServerReport.ReportServerUrl = new System.Uri(ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["ReportServerUrl"]);

while (this.rptvRentalAgeement.ServerReport.IsDrillthroughReport)

{

this.rptvRentalAgeement.PerformBack();

}

string strReport = ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["ReportPath"];

this.rptvRentalAgeement.ServerReport.ReportPath = strReport;

ReportParameter[] RptParameters = new Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ReportParameter[5];

string strReservationId = Request.QueryString["ReservationId"];

string strQuoteId = OcrvFunctions.GetQuoteId(strReservationId);

objQutDisplay.QuoteId = strQuoteId;

objQutDisplay.GetQuoteDtl();

RptParameters[0] = new ReportParameter("Reservation_Id", strReservationId);

RptParameters[1] = new ReportParameter("Quote_Id", strQuoteId);

RptParameters[2] = new ReportParameter("Miles", objQutDisplay.EstimatedMiles.ToString());

RptParameters[3] = new ReportParameter("Days", objQutDisplay.TotalNights.ToString());

RptParameters[4] = new ReportParameter("Mode", "S");

this.rptvRentalAgeement.ServerReport.SetParameters(RptParameters);

this.rptvRentalAgeement.ServerReport.Refresh();

this.rptvRentalAgeement.ServerReport.ReportServerCredentials = new MyReportServerCredentials();

objQutDisplay = null;

}

catch (Exception ex)

{

Functions.AlertMessage(this.Page, ex.Message.ToString());

objQutDisplay = null;

}

}

}

}

[Serializable()]

public sealed class MyReportServerCredentials : IReportServerCredentials

{

public WindowsIdentity ImpersonationUser {

//Use the default windows user. Credentials will be

//provided by the NetworkCredentials property.

get { return null; }

}

public ICredentials NetworkCredentials {

get {

string userName = ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["ReportViewerUser"];

if ((string.IsNullOrEmpty(userName))) {

throw new Exception("Missing user name from web.config file");

}

//Password

string password = ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["ReportViewerPassword"];

if ((string.IsNullOrEmpty(password))) {

throw new Exception("Missing password from web.config file");

}

//Domain

string domain = ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["ReportViewerDomain"];

if ((string.IsNullOrEmpty(domain))) {

throw new Exception("Missing domain from web.config file");

}

return new NetworkCredential(userName, password, domain );

}

}

public bool GetFormsCredentials(out Cookie authCookie, out string userName, out string password, out string authority)

{

authCookie = null;

userName = null;

password = null;

authority = null;

//Not using form credentials

return false;

}

}

----------------------- End of Code ----------------------------------

below is web.config parameter

<add key ="ReportServerUrl" value ="https://rs2k501.discountasp.net/ReportServer"/>

<add key ="ReportPath" value ="/ocrvcom0000/reports/RentalAgreement"/>

<add key ="ReportViewerUser" value ="rs2k501.discountasp.net\rs_498859"/>

<add key ="ReportViewerPassword" value ="***"/>

<add key ="ReportViewerDomain" value ="http://209.67.188.46/"/>

Please let me know the reason for this 401 number error.

24. "...<add key ="ReportViewerUser" value ="rs2k501.discountasp.net\rs_498859"/>"

try

<add key ="ReportViewerUser" value ="rs_498859"/>

25. i Cioina...

Thanks for your reply Cionia.

I have already tried this one also..I know there is just a small mistake, but i can't figure it out...plz can someone help me to solve it..[​IMG]

Thanks in Advanced.
    Parthiv.

26. "... this.rptvRentalAgeement.ServerReport.Refresh();

this.rptvRentalAgeement.ServerReport.ReportServerCredentials = new MyReportServerCredentials();"

try

this.rptvRentalAgeement.ServerReport.ReportServerCredentials = new MyReportServerCredentials();

this.rptvRentalAgeement.ServerReport.Refresh();

27. please someone suggest me...

its urgent for me.
    thanks.

Hi cioina...

I have tried this also..!!!!

28. What do you use for the domain??? I don't think you can skip it or leave it blank in the webconfig based on the vb.net class that is posted here.

SSRS is ridiculously hard for noobs. I had Crystal.net all figured out.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.