ScrewTurn Wiki

Discussion in 'Third-party applications' started by raymondp, Sep 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.
  1. We have installed and tested ScrewTurn Wiki on our shared hosting environment. This is a Wiki application that helps other internet users update the content of your website in real time. Great for sharing data and collaborating ideas. Very simple to upload and configure. However, it is a 2.0 .net application so you will need to insure that your framework is set for 2.0. No database add-on is required, but efficient disk quota space will be necessary for the ASPNet Anonymous User.

ScrewTurn Wiki installation guidelines

1. Go to http://www.screwturn.eu/(X(1)S(nabiet3hkyqgrz451yxawl45))/Download.ashx and download the Site-only Package.

2. Unzip the zip file on your local hard drive.

3. Navigate to the extracted folder and open the web.config file. Update the public directory to point to the public folder were the wiki web application is installed to. i.e. value='/public'

4. Update the admin login and password so it is not the default admin login and password.

5. Connect to your ftp site using an FTP client, and create a subdirectory called Wiki.

6. Log into your Discountasp control panel and under Web Applications Tool, set the subdirectory Wiki as an application folder.

7. Upload all the ScrewTurn Wiki web application directly in your Wiki subdirectory via FTP.

8. Navigate to your Wiki site. (i.e. www.mydomain.com/wiki) and log in as the administrator.

9. Click on Administration link and click on Configuration. You may want to update the Main URL text box, and set the SMTP Server to read localhost.

Your ScrewTurn Wiki application is ready for usage.

rcp
    DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

2. NOTE: Step 2 should read:
    2. Unzip the zip file on your local hard drive into the wiki/ folder.

3. Step 3 is probably related to an older version. you don't need to modify
    <add key="PublicDirectory" value="public\" />

unless you renamed it for some reason.

4. ...I'm going to publish a Webcast I created soon where I installed the ScrewTurn wiki entirely with IIS7 MSDeploy.
    Everything turned out perfectly.
    Only had to modify one line in the web.config by hand, the write-to folder location.
    I'm currently trying to figure out a way, with the IIS teams help, to do that part via MSDeploy also.
    All the best,
    Mark

5. Don't see why that works.

Ok, but I've tried plain <add key="PublicDirectory" value="public\" /> and it doesn't work. I get this error:

Cannot write into the public directory - check permissions
    Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: ScrewTurn.Wiki.PluginFramework.InvalidConfigurationException: Cannot write into the public directory - check permissions

I have a folder in my root called Wiki, so I don't see how "public" has anything to do with being the right setting for ScrewTurn wiki to work here.

6. Hi,
    I was able to use the protected folder DASP provides, _database, for this.
    Deployed the WIKI with MSDeploy and made this change to the Wikli's web.config:

<add key="PublicDirectory" value="..\_database\" />

...Since it's protected and it works I'd recommend you try the same folder.
    All the best,
    Mark

7. Attempting deployment using VS2010

It's was very slow, but it succeeded. However, the website failed to execute.

Refusing to be intimidated, I configured it to use the SQL database and re-deployed it. This time the publish failed. Turns out I had the deployment set to "delete all folders" and it was erroring out when it tried to delete the _database folder. After I turned that off, it published fine.

I'm still mucking about with the directory structure. I'd prefer to use public\ but if I can't get it to work, I'll try _database and deploy it to there.

Anyone else have any recent experiences with ScrewTurnWiki?

8. I can play with it some more.
    Want me to create a Video of setting it up from the IIS7 Manager?

9. That would be pretty nifty.

I haven't successfully published the site since the first time, and I've tried twice since. I get a lot of these:

Unable to add '<directory>/<fileName>' to the Web site. Could not find a web server at 'ftp.<domainName>.org' on port 21. Please check to make sure that the web server name is valid and your proxy settings are set correctly. If you are sure that everything is correct, the web server may be temporarily out of service.

As you may have guessed, I'm deploying via FTP. If this latest attempt doesn't work, I'm just going to manually copy the files up there.

10. I don't mind doing this because I'm planning on using that wiki to provide free code D/Ls.
    I'll try and get to it soon.

11. ...Before I get into this I'd like to ask, have you noticed all the different ways it can be installed?
    http://www.screwturn.eu/Download.ashx

It can also be installed from your Control Panel. Did you try that?

12. I did not notice the control panel install.

I kicked off another publish this morning before I went to work. It looks like it got a lot farther this time, but it still wasn't successful. I may have to abandon VS2010 publishing and just upload it to the FTP site manually.

Also, I think I'm running into problems because I'm attempting to publish to the root directory. I'd rather not have <mywebsite>.org/wiki for the URL, but this may be another thing I need to live with.

Thanks for being so responsive, Wisemx.

13. ...I need to do this anyway so I'll create a Webcast of doing it to a sub-folder.
    I haven't tried the CP install but I'd say you better back everything up first.

From what I saw before the XML data option is great.
    I used the _database folder as the storage.

It's all crazy now with so many install options but I'll work something out. ;-)

14. I would really prefer installing to the root directory. I'm not sure what's preventing that from succeeding. It may be this line in the Web.Config:

<add key="PublicDirectory" value="public\"/>

Something seems wrong with that.

Last night, I copied all my files up via FTP. Looks like everything made it. I moved it to a folder called "wiki" and attempted to browse to it. No luck. Runtime Error.

It would be nice if I could find more than about 10 minutes per day to dedicate to this, but such is life.

15. Maybe try it like this?

<add key="PublicDirectory" value="..\public\" />

16. Good news! I got the web publish to work.

Publish is successfully deployed.
    ========== Build: 5 succeeded or up-to-date, 0 failed, 0 skipped ==========
    ========== Publish: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 skipped ==========

Bad news. I'm still getting the runtime error.

Server Error in '/' Application.

Frustrating.

I suspect it's something stupid, which makes it more so.

I'm trying this with the public directory:

<add key="PublicDirectory" value="..\public\" />

I'm not sure what else to do here. I tried connecting the IIS manager to my server, but I was not successful. I don't think IIS Manager supports remote connections on Win7, or maybe I'm just missing something.

I disabled custom errors in Web.Config and found this out:

[FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'SqlServerProviders' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.]

So, I added the directories the guide said I needed and dropped the .DLL in there, but still no success.

My connection string is correct (I copied it from the SQL Manager tool) and all my web.config files are set up appropriately.

It's a head-scratcher.

17. I got farther. I ended up creating a directory and designating it as a web application. I rebuilt the project to use file system storage and then deployed it to the new directory.

The application still fails to launch fully, although the errors are now being caught (and, unfortunately buried) by ScrewTurn wiki. It's progress.

18. ...I'm not sure if the path (..\) will climb the folder correctly so I'm going to install it from the CP and see how it does.
    Should be reporting back soon. ;-)
    (Just wanted to let you know I haven't forgotten.)

19. OK, first stage went well.
    If you are using the SQL option you should consider the CP install.
    I just migrated an IIS6 test site (we use here for tests) to IIS7 then from the CP installed it.
    The install options asked for the location, I specified [wiki]
    It also allowed me to click/pick the Database.
    http://wisemxdasp.com/wiki/

Once I clicked to proceed it was installed in under one minute. And working. ;-)

Next I'm going to install manually on the same sever but using the File option instead of SQL.

Second Stage completed. Latest version of the ScrewTurn Wiki using File storage instead of SQL:
    http://wisemxdasp.com/daspwiki/

1) Added the folder /daspwiki/ as an application in the DiscountASP.NET Control Panel.
    2) Edited the wiki web.config to use it's own public folder for the storage:
    <add key="PublicDirectory" value="public\" />
    3) Edited the same web.config to add an Administrator password
    <add key="MasterPassword" value="PasswordHere" />
    4) Used Expression Web v4 to FTP the files. Worked instantly once the files were FTP'd into the site.

20. I'm not sure what you mean when you say "Control Panel Install" Would you point me to an article for that? I can't find anything on my DASP control panel that indicates it would allow me to do a web application install.

I got the wiki to launch from the root, but I'm still having issues. I abandon SQL install for now and went back to file system storage to simplify things.

For now, this appears to work for the PublicDirectory if I want to avoid using a subfolder:

<add key="PublicDirectory" value="..\" />

This is at least allowing ScrewTurn to capture and display its own errors.

I suspect there's now some sort of permission problem, but I can't pinpoint it. I'll see if I can find out more about this Control Panel Install.

21. I found the Control Panel Install you were talking about. I kept looking for a place in the control panel where I could deploy my own code. :)

It's under Web App Gallery. I'm going to march ahead with that. It bothers me a lot that I couldn't get it to deploy from my studio, but I think that looking at a functioning ScrewTurn deployment will quickly show me what I missed.

I have a more recent version of ScrewTurn on my development studio at home. My plan is going to be to see if I can upgrade the wiki once it's deployed. We'll see how that goes.

22. Cool. The CP feature will only let you use the SQL version.
    If you need anymore help let me know, this really was not difficult at all.

23. Well, I've been online for almost 5 days now and no serious problems. I had planned to use SQL all along, so that worked out fine.

Once I got the site launched, I spent a good deal of time configuring it to my liking, so I haven't gone through the Control Panel settings or the FTP site to see what I may have missed in my own attempts at configuration and deployment.

I'm a bit leery of performing the upgrade now that it's working. It's hard to fix something that isn't broken.

Thanks for the support, WiseMx.

24. Good job...Feel free to keep us posted. ;-)

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.