Session expiring too early

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by shahnoo, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Hi
    We have win 2003 / IIS 6 hosting package. & we have defined session timeout in web.config to 60 minutes but it seem to expiring very early may be after 5 to 6 minutes. Although the application is working perfectly on the testing server, it is not working on live server on DASP.

2. mjp

mjp

It would expire after 20 minutes of inactivity. Well, it doesn't expire, technically, rather the application pool recycles and the session is dropped from memory.

But if the session is active it shouldn't expire...

3. How to find out my application pool recycles setting & also how to change it for my domain.

4. mjp

mjp

You can't change it, I'm afraid. It is a global setting on the server. Some other users have set up a scheduled task to call a page on their site every 15 minutes or so, doing that is often an effective way to keep the application pool from recycling.

5. ok let me try this solution & then see what happens.
    Thanks.

6. No that not worked for me. The problem is that the session is expiring just after 5-6 minutes so even i scheduled task to hit a page on every 15 minutes but session expires before that so it is not working.

From where i can know the server setting of my domain, may be this will help me to resolve this issue.

7. Shahnoo, I think your app comes over the limit of resource..

8. Hello, sorry to bump old threads but just to clarify, there's no way of changing the sessionstate timeout beyond 20 minutes, right? Even if you're using SQLServer rather than inProc?

Cheers

Matt

9. Far as I have been able to test I'd say that is correct.

10. Thanks, anyone got any suggestions for an alternative to sessionstate that won't automatically time users out?

11. Here are 2 options I can think of:
    1. Dont use server session at all and use client side cookies instead to store whatever you need OR
    2. Use client side script to keep the server side session from timing out - in other words implement a timed client side aspx web page request strategy.