Setting up MX record with a different provider

Discussion in 'Domain names / DNS' started by WadeH, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Hello,

I have a configuration that's a bit different than most here, at least from what I've read in the existing posts. I have my own domain with existing hosts. Some of these hosts are on DHCP and their IP addresses periodically change. I handle this by using a DNS provider that supports dynamic DNS and has worked well for many years.

I've set up an account here at DiscountASP.net primarily for the purpose of email (I may set up web content at some point, but that is not my current priority). With my previous email provider, I created an A record with the IP address of their mail server and an MX record that points to it, both at my DNS provider.

I would like to use the same arrangement with email here, but it looks like the IP address of the mail server is subject to change. I am hesitant to set up an MX record that points to a CNAME - if my DNS provider would even allow it.

Can anyone suggest a way to accomplish this?

Thanks,
    -Wade

2. In looking around, I found the DNS Manager control panel for my domain here.

It looks like the MX record in DiscountASP's DNS is already a CNAME alias. It looks like my concerns about this may have been unfounded. I will update the MX record at my DNS provider with the same alias and see how that goes.

Thanks,
    -Wade

mjp and martino like this.
  3. mjp

mjp

Let us know if you run in to any problems.

4. Thanks for reading the thread.

Setting the MX record at my DNS provider to the host name of DiscountASP's mail server worked perfectly.

Actually, in hindsight, I don't know why it wouldn't have worked. I must have just have suffered brain freeze thinking about throwing the switch to move my mail server from one provider to another.

Thanks again,
    -Wade

5. martino

martino DiscountASP.NET Staff

It happens to all of us lol. Glad you were able to resolve your own issue. ;)