SL4 Deployment with MySql membership provider

Discussion in 'Silverlight' started by Robotuner, Jul 16, 2010.

1. I am trying to deploy my sl4 vs2010 business app even though it uses MySql for membership and role provider.

I have been anticipating issues with this, so I started slow. My SL application works with everything on the development machine and the MySQL DB as local host. I then moved the MySql DB to a remote machine. Got that to work.

In my third stage, I am planning to move my SL4 application to my DiscountASP site. The documentation is really good, and stepped me through packaging and deploying with web deploy.

Knowing that Discount doesnt have MySql in their GAO, I included the MySql.Web in the bin directory.

When I attempt to launch my SL web app on the remote server I get the following configuration error:
    From here--------------------------------------------------------------
    Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Unable to initialize provider. Missing or incorrect schema.
    Source Error:
    Line 36: <providers>
    Line 37: <add name="MySQLRoleProvider"
    Line 38: type="MySql.Web.Security.MySQLRoleProvider, MySql.Web, Version=6.3.2.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=c5687fc88969c44d"
    Line 39: connectionStringName="LocalMySqlServer" applicationName="/" />
    Line 40: </providers>
    Source File: E:\web\xxxxxxcom\htdocs\projectname\web.config Line: 38

Assembly Load Trace: The following information can be helpful to determine why the assembly 'MySql.Data, Version=6.3.2.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=c5687fc88969c44d' could not be loaded.
    WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
    To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
    Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
    To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].
    to here------------------------------------------------------------

The interesting thing is that on line 19 or so of web.config I have similar <providers> lines for the <membership>, so I have to presume
    that there wasn't a problem with my membership schema.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what should be looking at?

Thanks, in advance!!!

2. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

looks like the problem is with the driver. it is looking for some configuration file that doesn't exist.

3. I'm sure it's looking for the MySql Driver. On a iis server machine that supports MySql for membership, the MySql connector is installed and probably lives in the GAO. Since Discount.asp doesn't support mysql, there really wasn't a expectation on my part that the MySql.Data.dll would be found. What I was hoping for was to somehow include it (the mysql.data.dll) in my website have have the web.config find it. I haven't been able to identify a directory that will allow that to happen.

I might have to find a silverlight host service that supports mysql.

4. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

put it in the bin directory of your application.

5. There is no bin directory if it's a website. So discountasp doesn't support mySql? I'm confused. I'm also having the same problem...

6. You can create your /bin/ folder, and yes DASP added MySQL options to all Control Panels.