SSL on Domain Pointer

Discussion in 'Domain names / DNS' started by CCM64, Sep 18, 2014.

1. I have a Discount Asp.net hosted site www.ClearCutMeals.com with a SSL certificate from GeoTrust. I've created a second site (www.DinnerThyme.com) within the first and added a domain pointer to my first site to accommodate the second site. Again, the first site has a current SSL certificate. What is the best way to cover the second site? I understand there are wild card options with SSL certificates. Is that the best way being that I just need to cover two sites? How would that work being that I already have a certificate in place for the first site? Can I just get a second certificate for the second site (a domain pointer) - I don't see how to do that?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

2. mjp

mjp

A wildcard cert only covers one domain name, so that's not going to help in your case. I'm not sure how to handle a separate cert for a domain pointer (or if you can), but if you open up a support ticket they can help you out.

Multiple certificate management is a lot easier over on Everleap. We just added some great SNI cert management tools there that let you quickly and easily bind multiple certs to different domains or subdomains on a site. Probably not reason enough to move, but maybe you can find other reasons. ;)

3. Thanks mjp for clearing up the specifics of wildcard certificates. I'll take your advise and open a support ticket.