subdomains and blogs

Discussion in 'Domain names / DNS' started by k2sarah, Sep 9, 2013.

1. i am a novice programmer, so kindly bear with me

i have standard asp.net website MAINWEBSITE which i want to add a blog. i tried blogengine.net as a subdirectory but did not work, but i have blogengine.net working as a standalone site BLOGSITE. I now want to try to integrate BLOGSITE AND MAINWEBSITE.

1. can i deploy BLOGSITE to MAINWEBSITE domain even through they are two different websites?
    2. can i do this with the one domain i have purchased or do i need two domains or do i need a domain pointer?

any guidance would be highly appreciated.

thks
    ken

2. martino

martino DiscountASP.NET Staff

1. I wouldn't do this because deploying any application in the location where you main site can cause an issue. For example it can overwrite different files that both site use. It would be best in my opinion to deploy Blog application into a subdirectory off the root of your hosting account. That way your main site stays on the root of your hosting account and the other application is located in a subdirectory.

You stated this: "i tried blogengine.net as a subdirectory but did not work"

What exactly did not work? Can you please provide us with more details of what did not work? Did you get an error message? If so what was the error message?

2. You can do it with one domain name or if you wish to use a different domain name for your blog site you can too. You might want to read our knowledge base article on How to host multiple domains under one account