The difference between installing a web application and using subdomain?

Discussion in 'Hosting Services / Control Panel' started by Naif, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Hi,
    Regarding both of Application and Database pool ! What is the differences if any?

2. In other words,
    How do you calculate the Application pool and the database pool size ?
    If three applications connect to a database and the maximum pool size was 100,for example.
    is the calculation below correct?
    1-If I connect the database via (three web applications) each application under its subdomain then I have total of 300 pool (NOT sharing the pool).
    2-If I connect the database via a (three installed web applications under the same domain) then I have only 100 pool and all the three web applications share the pools.

Thanks.

3. RayH

RayH DiscountASP.NET Lackey DiscountASP.NET Staff

They are both unrelated. The application pool consists of the worker processes (threads) and memory used to run the code in your website. The database pool (or connection pool) is the number of simultaneous database ports (connections) that can be open to execute the database commands issued against your database. These ports are open through your code and can be closed so 100 is more than enough for a well designed application. Your example 2 is more correct.

The easiest way to understand sub-domains is that they are notations to the left (.) of the primary domain. (e.g. test.mysite.com is a sub-domain of mysite.com which is a sub-domain of .com)

mjp and Naif like this.
  4. Many thanks.