Upgrade from .NET framework 4.0 to 4.5?

Discussion in 'Visual Studio' started by PJ2010, Sep 14, 2012.

1. I am developing in Visual Studio 2010 and framework 4.0. I am also trying out Visual Studio 2012, which uses 4.5

So far, just working with my local drive, it seems Visual Studio 2012 is a bit buggy--just a bit--so I want to keep VS 2010 / 4.0 for another year or so until they iron out the kinks in VS 2012.

Now my question: if I have an account with DiscountASP.NET (DASP) for Framework 4.0, I have to get a second account for 4.5, correct? To run Visual Studio 2012 apps? That is, there's not a simple switch I can just toggle and switch my account from 4.0 to 4.5? Sorry for such a noob question but I just dabble with issues like this. I guess, as I think about it, I can 'target' (there's a switch for that somewhere in VS) for 4.0 from inside of Visual Studio 2012?

I think the answer to my first question is "NO", in that I have to set up a separate, second account with DASP for framework 4.5? If so, do I get any partial credit for having other accounts with DASP? Already with DASP I have two accounts, one for Visual Studio 2008 and one for Visual Studio 2010, each using different frameworks.

Thank you.

2. Takeshi Eto

Takeshi Eto DiscountASP.NET Staff

.NET 4.5 is an in-place upgrade. It is not side to side. So if you install it on your box, you'll only have .NET 4.5 and you cannot roll back. This is why we haven't gone in and updated our current hosting paltform.

Our plan is to launch .NET 4.5 with Windows 2012 very soon. We will then look at what to do with the Windows 2008 platform.

3. Another question about legacy frameworks

Thanks Eric. This raises another question: is there a possibility that Discountasp.net might do away with the early versions of the Windows platforms? That is, .NET framework having ASP.NET / .NET 2.0/3.0/3.5 sp1? I assume not, but if so feel free to respond.

If so, I'd like to know so I can port some programs from that framework to ASP/ .NET 4.0 and/or 4.5.

There are a few old programs that I keep on my ASP.NET 3.5 account only because I'm too lazy to debug them to make them migrate to 4.0. It's not that big a deal but obviously I'd like to know if you're going to not support the .NET framework having ASP.NET / .NET 2.0/3.0/3.5 sp1 so please let us know. Again I assume DASP will support the old frameworks, as probably there are enough of these 'legacy' customers around to justify the investment.

PJ

4. Takeshi Eto

Takeshi Eto DiscountASP.NET Staff

We do not have plans to do away with .NET 2/3/3.5 in the near future. We understand customers may have older applications and we don't want to cause disruption. As long as these frameworks can run side to side and as long as there is official Microsoft support, then we will continue to support the older frameworks.

And if we are going to do anything like deprecate older frameworks that could cause disruption to our customers, we would certainly notify everyone affected about what is going on and provide ample time to decide what to do.

5. Hi.

Has there been any update on this?

We have an account with DiscountASP.NET for framework 4.0 and our website (which includes BlogEngine.NET) has been built using ASP.NET 4.0. We now want to upgrade to 4.5 to take advantage of the OpenID/OAuth Login With ASP.NET 4.5 that allows users to login to our site with their accounts from Facebook, Google, LinkedIn, Twitter, Yahoo, and Windows Live as well employ other aspects of ASP.NET 4.5.

What is the quickest, easiet, cheapest route to upgrade?

Thanks.

6. FrankC

FrankC DiscountASP.NET Staff

Contact support and have them move your site to an IIS 8.0 server.