Upgrading old visual studio 2002 web app to visual studio 2013

Discussion in 'Visual Studio' started by Brian Leary, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Having difficulty upgrading my old 2002 .net web application to visual studio 2013. I have an older windows desktop with visual studio 20012. .net version 1 and using sql server 2000 dev edition. I just created a trial account with cloudshare and spun up a visual studio 2013 vm and a sql server 2012 vm. I am assuming I can just upload my project / solution to this cloud account and visual studio will walk me through the upgrade. problem I am having is, how do I get my old solution/project up here and what files do I need to copy up ? any advice would be awesome

2. FrankC

FrankC DiscountASP.NET Staff

I have not tried to upgrade from such old version but when you try open the project, VS.NET should try upgrade the project for you. It wouldn't hurt to give it a try. Make sure you back it up first.

3. Thanks for your reply. My problem now is that I am trying to migrate the files from my old PC to the new environment and am not sure the best way to do it (copy onto a flash drive?). I also don't know what files are needed so that my project will be able to even be upgraded in the new environment. I know the solution file, but what else ? sorry, this is my first upgrade and I am a little confused at how I accomplish this. Thanks again

/

4. FrankC

FrankC DiscountASP.NET Staff

Hard to say, it really depends on how the solution was setup.

I would first try copy the folder (including sub folders) containing the sln file and try open it on the new computer.

5. Hi Frank,
    Thank you again for your reply. I ran into issues upgrading from the older version of VS, so I just went ahead and created a new solution/project on VS 2013. I will just have to go through the code and make sure everything still works. I know some things have changed/become deprecated so I will have to play around. Now I know that I wont wait so long to upgrade the next time :)

Thanks again for your replies
    Brian