Upgrading to Visual Studio 2013, .NET 4.5.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2

Discussion in 'Pre-sales questions' started by PJ2010, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Hi,

Here is what I sent Sales. I am an existing customer. If anybody can answer it here, that would be great too. Belts and suspenders!

I like this company, it's great for programmers.

PJ

Referring to I. below, DASP has announced .NET 4.5.1 support

Referring to II. below, I wish to upgrade from .NET 4.0 to .NET 4.5. Can I do this and still maintain my website "***.COM" (which is .NET 4.0 powered)? I am pretty sure the answer is yes.

How much will it cost for .NET 4.5? Per year?

My ***.COM account renews in April of next year, so if I switch a few months early, do I lose the months remaining on my contract for .NET 4.0? I suspect so, no big deal though.

Finally, how long would a "change over" from .NET 4.0 to .NET 4.5 take? Also, if I have two databases that are in Windows Server 2008 R2 (which is what .NET 4.0 uses), and I want to get them converted to Windows Server 2012 R2 (which is what .NET 4.5 uses), can you do this automatically for me? And send me the new database URL link? I would appreciate it if you do, since converting from one SQL Server version to another version in the past has been a pain for me, but if not that's OK I will figure it out.

Any information appreciated.

I.
    http://community.discountasp.net/threads/asp-net-4-5-1-and-mvc-5-are-now-available.21137/#post-61137

II. 4.5.1 4.5.50938.18408 2013-10-17 Visual Studio 2013 Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2

2. Here is what Sales said in response to the above question:

We can migrate you to a Windows 2012 R2 server with support for ASP.NET 4.5.1. There is no cost. All of your account will remain the same, you site will just be migrated to the newer server. Our Support team will do the migration for you. The process takes about 30 minutes, but really depends on the number of files you have (if you have millions, it could take hours).

Upgrading your database would mean upgrading from SQL 2008 R2 to SQL 2012. (Note that you can still use SQL 2008 R2 with ASP.NET 4.5.1). Our Support team will not upgrade your database for you, but we have backup/restore tools you can use. SQL 2012 is backwards compatible with 2008 R2, so if everything goes OK, it should be an easy process. What you will be doing is creating a backup of the 2008 R2 database and restoring that backup to the 2012 database. Here are all the steps:

1. Install the SQL 2012 client.

2. Order SQL 2012 addon in Control Panel (you will be charged a prorated fee corresponding to the amount of time left in your current billing cycle).

Proceed to the following steps after you have received the SQL 2008 activation email.

3. Optional: If your site performs frequent updates to the database, we recommend that you disable your site during this process to avoid losing data. You can do so using the stop/start tool in Control Panel's IIS manager.

4. Backup your SQL 2008 R2 database using the SQL Tools in Control Panel. Note the filename. (Here are instructions on using the tools: http://support.discountasp.net/KB/a188/sql-2008-management-tools.aspx)

5. In the SQL 2012 Manager, use the restore tool to restore the backup file that you just created.

6. Once the restoration is complete, the SQL 2012 database should contain all the data from your SQL 2008 R2 database.

7. Test several queries directly with your SQL 2012 client and make sure that your database has migrated properly.

8. Update your web application's connection string to point to the SQL 2012 server.

9. Contact our billing department to terminate SQL 2008 R2 service (and get a credit for the unused portion of the service).