Upload website

Discussion in 'Getting started' started by Bernybon, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Hi,

How to upload my website to my discountasp.net?

2. publish

It is not working

Attached Files:

3. publish again

It is not working this way either

It is freezing trying to upload

Attached Files:

4. RayH

RayH DiscountASP.NET Lackey DiscountASP.NET Staff

For the Site/application name, just use lesartsfashion.com without the http://

Uncheck Mark as IIS application on destination.

And just use lesartsfash as your User name.

If it still doesn't work, make sure you do not have a firewall blocking port 8172.

5. ok now it says publish failed.

I have this for error:

if I put Allow untrusted certificate it stuck

6. martino

martino DiscountASP.NET Staff

7. Hi,
    I'm using VS2008. I know I can't try webdeploy (allowed from VS2010). I connect DiscountASP.NET via FTP.

If I delete all from target (DiscountASP.NET) root files, and copy from source (my laptop), it should work right? Just want to make sure before I try. I'm new to this company and DiscountASP.NET, so I want to make sure I'm doing right before attempting anything with the site that runs good. I have an enhancement that goes to production tomorrow (Sunday).

Thanks for the answer in advance, just want to know the confirmation if I've to do any extra step. I do not find any knowledge base articles on how to deploy the code using VS2008. Or probably there were, I do not know how to get there. I saw the one with vs2010 (web deploy). I'm reading this thread, so I want to ask the question as you might've went through all that.

8. martino

martino DiscountASP.NET Staff

It might be a lot better to open a new forum post if you have a question.

I'll go ahead and answer it one this one.

If you're going to delete files from your root. It's always a great idea to backup the files by using an FTP program like FileZilla. FileZilla can be download here.

Read our knowledge base article on how to connect to your site using FileZilla here.

Once you have backed up your web site files locally on your computer. Keep them there for safe keeping. That way if you mess up on your deployment you can always revert back by uploading the site that works from your backup files.

I don't know what you mean by "it should work" but if you mean by uploading the web site from Visual Studio 2008 using FTP it should work.

Read the following knowledge base article regarding Visual Studio 2008 using FTP below:

How do I deploy a Visual Studio 2008/2005 or Visual Web Developer 2008/2005 web project from my local computer to the DiscountASP.NET servers?

Senor Engineer likes this.
  9. Excellent, thanks ... I connected with FTP, I would like to know how I connect from VS2008 directly, I tested, and it works (connecting target directory). Tomorrow I can try to deploy by taking backup. I already tried with database back-up and restore on my local SQL Server 2008. Everything looks good. Thanks again. I will post as a new thread for future, while I was reviewing the posts, I thought I should ask the question to be safer side. I was thinking of connecting via FTP and try copying directly. Probably I should skip the _database and rest I can copy. Thanks again for the great help to get me smooth transition to the environment. I'm planning to convert the website to latest environment (VS2012), and I will be writing the code scratch. I will use WebDeploy at that time. I used it earlier with XML Transformations on Windows 2008 Server.