Uploading using Frontpage, beginner

Discussion in 'FrontPage' started by beachrobin, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Here is my situation. I took on this project by way of another person who is going to create streaming video and wants links from the site to the video. He is a Microsoft Partner and is also a non profit so gets software, etc, to try out from Microsoft. He is asking that I use Frontpage. He also found a website template from ecommercetemplates that he asked if I would use, and it also incuded a shopping cart, so he bought the asp version to help me get started with Frontpage. I don't know if I could mess it all up by not using the extensions.

I am still trying to figure out why one needs Frontpage extensions as well, and from what I read they really only deal with the upload? Or is it more than that? I am very used to WSFTP Pro and it's what I use for all my other websites. Anyway, that's where I am at, Frontpage, asp, etc.

2. I need some help! I am not new to website design or to ftp, but I am brand new to Frontpage. I just bought hosting here, and now I need to upload a frontpage website to my account. I installed the frontpage extensions to the account, so am wondering if there is anything else I need to do? I have never uploaded through frontpage before so don't know what to expect. Along with the website I have integrated a shopping cart. Any tips would be appreciated before I proceed, thanks.

3. Takeshi Eto

Takeshi Eto DiscountASP.NET Staff

4. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

FP extension gives you a little bit more than upload capability. It has some bultin "bots", which is just some common applications like Webform, discussion board, etc..

FP's bot is crappy as hell and it was designed in 1997 and MS never updated it. You can easily find much simpler off the shelf script for the same application

In addition, Microsoft has announced that FrontPage will be deprecated. It is being replaced by another tool call Expression Studio. THe current build of IIS 7.0 do not even have FrontPage extension available.

Conclusion: You should NOT use FrontPage if you do not have to.

5. As a bit of advice, possibly before it's too late, are you sure you need the Front page extensions?
    Would you be interested in using the free version of Visual Studio 2005 Express?
    Front page and the extensions really create a mess...

6. Ok, I went and looked at MS Expression and am strongly considering downloading the free version (I did not see a paid version). This template and shopping cart I bought is the ASP version, so I am hoping upon hopes that I can open it in Expression instead of Frontpage. Does anyone have any experience with this? Will Frontpage webs open in Expression?

7. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

8. Thanks for letting me know that, I was wondering!

9. I steer clear of anything that says "FrontPage" or "Expression". Since the existance of FrontPage, it's always been more problems than it's worth.

Joel Thoms
    DiscountASP.NET
    http://www.DiscountASP.NET

10. I really don't know what to do! I have always stayed clear of Frontpage until now. I have always used Adobe PageMill 3 which is old, old, old!! I always install it on my new computers and I treasure it! I can go in and do anything I want to to the code, and it does an excellent job accepting anything. I can be lazy and do wysiwyg with it, and I love it! I have Dreamweaver 4, that I bought years ago...but I always go back to my PageMill!! I guess this guy wanted Frontpage because of the shopping cart and hosting on a Windows 2003 server, don't ask me why!!! So, I came here. I am new to shopping carts and really didn't know where to turn, so he found the one already integrated into this Frontpage Template from ecommercetemplates.com. I should really try to find an affordable shopping cart solution that I can use.

This group has been a tremendous help!! Thanks.

11. Ah, troubles!! I tried to upload the website, and nothing happened or showed up. I hope I am trying to use the right address:

ftp.mydomainnamehere.com??

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance!

12. Answered some of my questions myself..lol! I was able to upload using www.mydomainname.com and not placing the ftp in front of it. Goes against all I know about ftp :))) So, another problem! I opened my web site folder, hit publish, and all the folders and files went, and when it finished I noticed that it placed one folder (the one I have for the name of this website) with all the contents in the folder!! So of course it does not show the website. I don't know what to do about this now.