VB.NET - "Could not find installable ISAM"

Discussion in 'Databases' started by Alberto, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Dear all,
    I stored an Access database (mydb.accdb) into the folder "/database". I' would like to connect to that file through a VB.NET application.

I see that proper connection string from ASP.NET makes use of server.MapPath class that is not available under VB.NET. This forces me to "hard code" the full path!

Here is the connection string that I use:

"Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0; Source=http://www.mysite.com/database/mydb.accdb; Persist Security Info=False;"

Above string returns the following error: "Could not find installable ISAM"

I found, in other threads, that connection string could be written using "Data Source" instead of "Source". Changing the string according to this I get another error: "Invalid file name"

Do you have any suggestion?
    Thanks a lot,
    Alberto

2. RayH

RayH DiscountASP.NET Lackey DiscountASP.NET Staff

Try using the absolute path to your hosting space found in the Account Info/Edit section of the Control Panel. It's next to Server Path:

mjp likes this.
  3. Thank you very much for your reply.
    Unfortunately my VB.NET application is not running on the web server but on my local PC.
    The server path in my account info looks like this: e:\web\..xxx..\htdocs
    I don't think I can use it as a valid Source for the connection string as far as it runs on another machine (in my home)
    Am I wrong?

4. RayH

RayH DiscountASP.NET Lackey DiscountASP.NET Staff

Why don't you put the Access database on your home system then? Because I don't think you can connect to Microsoft Access in that way (i.e. via HTTP). Or better yet, upgrade to SQL Server.

mjp likes this.