web.config RoleManager says it is going to localSqlServer, but can't find.

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by bcsmith, May 8, 2009.

1. Long title, but it says it all. I am trying to upload a new asp.net website.
    On my local machine I have moved all of the connectionstrings over to the
    discountasp.net site and have it running....

when I attempt to run the website on the discountasp.net site, I first got an
    error about Error 26.... I fixed this by doing the following:
    <remove name="LocalSqlServer" />

But then I got this error:

Configuration Error
    Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: The connection name 'LocalSqlServer' was not found in the applications configuration or the connection string is empty.

Source Error:

Line 158: <roleManager>
    Line 159: <providers>
    Line 160: <add name="AspNetSqlRoleProvider" connectionStringName="LocalSqlServer" applicationName="/" type="System.Web.Security.SqlRoleProvider, System.Web, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"/>
    Line 161: <add name="AspNetWindowsTokenRoleProvider" applicationName="/" type="System.Web.Security.WindowsTokenRoleProvider, System.Web, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"/>
    Line 162: </providers>

Source File: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Config\machine.config Line: 160

I thought, great, this will be easy to correct...I just missed switching one reference of the localSqlServer over....but then I looked in my web.config
    file and here is what I have for RoleManager:

<roleManager enabled="true"/>

I looked in my directory to see if there were any include files that did not show up in the project that could be supplying the RoleManager values,
    and I did not see any.

So where are these values for the RoleManager coming from?

Thanks for any help.

2. still confused

I did not do a job looking for this error before posting....I have just done this and I tried this fix:

<configuration>
    <connectionStrings>
    <add name="SqlRoleManagerConnection"
    connectionString="Data Source=sqlinstance;
    Initial Catalog=aspnetdb;Integrated Security=SSPI;">
    </add>
    </connectionStrings>
    </configuration>

<roleManager enabled="true" defaultProvider="SqlRoleManager">
    <providers>
    <add name="SqlRoleManager"
    type="System.Web.Security.SqlRoleProvider"
    connectionStringName="SqlRoleManagerConnection"
    applicationName="MyApplication" />
    </providers>
    </roleManager>

Now I am getting the error on my localMachine as well.... I will keep looking for the answer.

3. The default role provider is AspNetSqlRoleProvider which has a default connection string that points to SQL Express. So what you have done is correct by setting the default role provider to the custom one you added. Now all you have to do is set the connection string to connect to your DiscountASP SQL 2005/2008 database. You cannot run SQL Express on the DiscountASP servers.

4. I thought I did this already....

Here is exactly what I have now... (xxxx replacing real values for the
    connectionstrings...). To me this looks like I have taken care of the
    RoleManager...setting to be aspnetdb and aspnetdb is set to come
    from discountasp.net... I my exploration I have not found a mention
    of AspNetSqlRoleProvider...This is not explained in the how-to I found.
    I will keep looking.

<connectionStrings>
    <remove name="LocalSqlServer" />
    <add name="wcjcConnectionString" connectionString="Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Extended Properties=Excel 8.0;"/>
    <add name="VirtualFiles" connectionString="Data Source=tcp:xxxxxx;Initial Catalog=xxxxx;User ID=xxxx;Password=xxxx;"/>
    <add name="aspnetdb" connectionString="Data Source=tcp:xxxxxx;Initial Catalog=xxxxx;User ID=xxxx;Password=xxxx;"/>
    </connectionStrings>

<system.web>

<providers>
    connectionStringName="aspnetdb"
    applicationName="/" />
    </providers>
    </roleManager>

5. why doesn't this work for setting AspNetSqlMembershipProvider

I am still working on this....I have tried the following to clear out the old data
    for aspnetsqlMembershipProvider and to set it....but this still does not work. I am flying blind here as the how-to's don't see to cover what is now happening.... I..e. I have applied the fixes and I am still having problems.

<providers>
    <remove name="AspNetSqlMembershipProvider"/>
    <add name="AspNetSqlMembershipProvider"
    type="System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider, System.Web,Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"
    connectionStringName="aspnetdb" />
    connectionStringName="aspnetdb"
    applicationName="/" />
    </providers>
    </roleManager>

6. got it working....thanks

I have kept working on this...and I got it working by setting the following,
    in addition to the roleManager....This was not mentioned in the how-to's, but it works. Thanks for your help.

<membership defaultProvider="MaximumASPSqlMembershipProvider" userIsOnlineTimeWindow="15">
    <providers>
    <remove name="AspNetSqlMembershipProvider" />
    <add name="MaximumASPSqlMembershipProvider"
    type="System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider, System.Web, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"
    connectionStringName="MaximumASPSqlServer"
    enablePasswordRetrieval="false"
    enablePasswordReset="true"
    requiresQuestionAndAnswer="true"
    applicationName="/"
    requiresUniqueEmail="false"
    passwordFormat="Hashed"
    maxInvalidPasswordAttempts="5"
    passwordAttemptWindow="10"
    passwordStrengthRegularExpression="" />
    </providers>
    </membership>

7. VladDracul

VladDracul Guest

Need help

MY PAGE SENDS THE SAME ERROR, AND I DON'T KNOW WHY, I'M AN AMATEUR IN THE ASP.NET PLEASE HELP ME...I REALLY APPRECIATE...IN LOCALHOST THE PAGE RUNS VERY WELL, BUT IN THE HTTP SERVER SEND ME THE ERROR. I'M WORKING WITH VISUAL WEB DEVELOPER 2008 EXPRESS THANK YOU.

*************************ERROR*************************

Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS.

Source Error:

Line 36: -->
    Line 37:
    Line 38: <roleManager enabled="true" />
    Line 39: <compilation debug="false">
    Line 40:

Source File: C:\inetpub\vhosts\justopago.com.mx\httpdocs\jpsecurity\web.config Line: 38

********************this is the complete code****************

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<configuration>

<configSections>
    <sectionGroup name="system.web.extensions" type="System.Web.Configuration.SystemWebExtensionsSectionGroup, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35">
    <sectionGroup name="scripting" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingSectionGroup, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35">
    <section name="scriptResourceHandler" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingScriptResourceHandlerSection, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" requirePermission="false" allowDefinition="MachineToApplication"/>
    <sectionGroup name="webServices" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingWebServicesSectionGroup, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35">
    <section name="jsonSerialization" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingJsonSerializationSection, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" requirePermission="false" allowDefinition="Everywhere" />
    <section name="profileService" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingProfileServiceSection, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" requirePermission="false" allowDefinition="MachineToApplication" />
    <section name="authenticationService" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingAuthenticationServiceSection, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" requirePermission="false" allowDefinition="MachineToApplication" />
    <section name="roleService" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingRoleServiceSection, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" requirePermission="false" allowDefinition="MachineToApplication" />
    </sectionGroup>
    </sectionGroup>
    </sectionGroup>
    </configSections>

<appSettings/>
    <connectionStrings/>
    <system.web>

<roleManager enabled="true" />
    <compilation debug="false">

<assemblies>
    <add assembly="System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089"/>
    <add assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>
    <add assembly="System.Data.DataSetExtensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089"/>
    <add assembly="System.Xml.Linq, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089"/>
    </assemblies>

</compilation>

<authentication mode="Forms" />

<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="GenericErrorPage.htm">
    <error statusCode="403" redirect="NoAccess.htm" />
    <error statusCode="404" redirect="FileNotFound.htm" />
    </customErrors>

<pages>
    <controls>
    <add tagPrefix="asp" namespace="System.Web.UI" assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>
    <add tagPrefix="asp" namespace="System.Web.UI.WebControls" assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>
    </controls>
    </pages>

<httpHandlers>
    <remove verb="*" path="*.asmx"/>
    <add verb="*" path="*.asmx" validate="false" type="System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>
    <add verb="*" path="*_AppService.axd" validate="false" type="System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>
    <add verb="GET,HEAD" path="ScriptResource.axd" type="System.Web.Handlers.ScriptResourceHandler, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" validate="false"/>
    </httpHandlers>
    <httpModules>
    <add name="ScriptModule" type="System.Web.Handlers.ScriptModule, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>
    </httpModules>

</system.web>

<system.codedom>
    <compilers>
    <compiler language="c#;cs;csharp" extension=".cs" warningLevel="4"
    type="Microsoft.CSharp.CSharpCodeProvider, System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089">
    <providerOption name="CompilerVersion" value="v3.5"/>
    <providerOption name="WarnAsError" value="false"/>
    </compiler>
    <compiler language="vb;vbs;visualbasic;vbscript" extension=".vb" warningLevel="4"
    type="Microsoft.VisualBasic.VBCodeProvider, System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089">
    <providerOption name="CompilerVersion" value="v3.5"/>
    <providerOption name="OptionInfer" value="true"/>
    <providerOption name="WarnAsError" value="false"/>
    </compiler>
    </compilers>
    </system.codedom>

<system.webServer>
    <validation validateIntegratedModeConfiguration="false"/>
    <modules>
    <remove name="ScriptModule" />
    <add name="ScriptModule" preCondition="managedHandler" type="System.Web.Handlers.ScriptModule, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>
    </modules>
    <handlers>
    <remove name="WebServiceHandlerFactory-Integrated"/>
    <remove name="ScriptHandlerFactory" />
    <remove name="ScriptHandlerFactoryAppServices" />
    <remove name="ScriptResource" />
    <add name="ScriptHandlerFactory" verb="*" path="*.asmx" preCondition="integratedMode"
    type="System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>
    <add name="ScriptHandlerFactoryAppServices" verb="*" path="*_AppService.axd" preCondition="integratedMode"
    type="System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>
    <add name="ScriptResource" preCondition="integratedMode" verb="GET,HEAD" path="ScriptResource.axd" type="System.Web.Handlers.ScriptResourceHandler, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" />
    </handlers>
    </system.webServer>

<runtime>
    <assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">
    <dependentAssembly>
    <assemblyIdentity name="System.Web.Extensions" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35"/>
    <bindingRedirect oldVersion="1.0.0.0-1.1.0.0" newVersion="3.5.0.0"/>
    </dependentAssembly>
    <dependentAssembly>
    <assemblyIdentity name="System.Web.Extensions.Design" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35"/>
    <bindingRedirect oldVersion="1.0.0.0-1.1.0.0" newVersion="3.5.0.0"/>
    </dependentAssembly>
    </assemblyBinding>
    </runtime>

</configuration>

8. Hi,
    How are you doing this with no connection manager?
    SQL Sever Express locally but nothing on the DASP end?

9. VladDracul

VladDracul Guest

How??

I'm sorry about my ignorance...but I don't know the correct way to do that...what sql connection?? what sql manager?? I'm learning but my job depends of the page...can you help me to make te correct code??

10. mjp

mjp

I don't see justopago.com.mx as an account here, so we can't really give you any specific advice.

It looks like your site is hosted at internetworks.com.mx.

11. VladDracul

VladDracul Guest

Need help

Yes it's located on internetworks.com the page you can see at http://www.justopago.com.mx but I need to ADD the section described on my code...y my internal LOCALHOST the page works without problems...but when I upload it to the internetworks server with this address http://www.justopago.com.mx/jpsecurity/login.aspx send me the message error. Do you need more information?? pleas HELP ME!!!

12. I suggest you might have more success looking for help with your internetworks problem where ever internetworks support and their forums reside.