Which version of sql is best to use and easiest to delploy

Discussion in 'Third-party applications' started by puterwoman, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Greetings,

We currently host our site on a discountasp.net server using VWD express and MS Access as the back-end database. We have a need to upgrade our site and before I plunge into something and get in over my head I'm trying to decide which is the best SQL database to use.

I have VS 2010 Professional edition which came with MS SQL10.SQLExpress now my dilemma is that in the next year or so, we will finally go mobile and I understand that the compact edition is good for the mobile devices so I also have SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP2 at my disposal.

Our site is small but important to our customer base, for instance we only have approximately 85 registered users (customer base). I was hoping I could use the compact edition? Do I have to have separate domains for internet vs mobile platforms?

I want to use the canned membership/role providers in VS 2010 offered via sqlexpress

It has also been recommended that I test my current site in Windows 2008/IIS7 which was answered directly by discountasp.net via a support ticket

2. RayH

RayH DiscountASP.NET Lackey DiscountASP.NET Staff

We support SQL Server Compact Edition, however, for growth, you might want to consider using SQL Server 2008 R2.