Windows 2012 hosting available now

Discussion in 'Windows / IIS' started by mjp, Sep 24, 2012.

1. mjp

mjp

Last Thursday we launched Windows 2012 hosting!

What does that mean?

It means .NET 4.5 and IIS 8 are now in production. As well as WebSockets, node.js, MVC4, WebMatrix 2, and a host of other improvements to the overall Windows/IIS hosting experience.

Oh, and the default memory allocation for accounts on the new servers has been increased to 300mb. I know you like that.

If you want to upgrade your existing account, you can do so with a simple click. Go to your Control Panel Account Info page, and there in the Server Information section you'll find an Upgrade link.

A couple of things to note:

- Windows 2012 is only available in the U.S. data center at the moment. It is coming to the European data center very soon.

- ASP.NET 4.5 is only available on the new Windows 2012 servers. Windows 2008/IIS 7 severs are still running .NET 4. We may upgrade the Windows 2008 servers, but the .NET upgrade is an "in place" upgrade, meaning there is no rollback to deal with any unpleasant side-effects of the upgrade. We're still investigating.

If your account is on a Windows 2008 server and you want to use .NET 4.5, you have to upgrade to Windows 2012.

2. IPAlarms

IPAlarms Developer of VoIP2Go Voice over IP Platform

Be sure to let us know in this thread when we can upgrade on UK servers :)

3. IPAlarms

....waiting patiently. Is there a target date?

4. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

Within the next several weeks.

5. mjp

mjp

All users of the UK data center should have received an email from us regarding a brief outage next week. That outage is paving the way for Windows 2012 in the UK. So as Bruce said, it's only a few weeks away.

Barring any unforeseen circumstances, of course. You know how they can be. ;)

6. IPAlarms

I saw that you did some more upgrades to the UK servers so I quickly tried the 2012 migration. Sadly, I received the following:

"Sorry, no Windows 2012 / IIS 8 server is available for migration at this time.
    Please check back later
    ."

Do you have a new target date for us?

7. mjp

mjp

No precise date yet, but it's our first priority now that we have the networking in place.

8. UK Windows 2012 Go Live Alert

Hi,

Sorry to join the tedious 'is it ready yet' questions... but will all UK customers get an email alerting them when the Windows 2012 hosting is available?

Thanks,

Will

9. mjp

mjp

I don't know if we'll do a mass email for that. But we'll certainly make it known everywhere else.

10. Upgrading from ASP.NET 3.5 to ASP.NET 4.0

Is there a simple way to upgrade my sites from ASP.NET 3.5 to ASP.NET 4.0?

Thank you for your trouble.

11. martino

martino DiscountASP.NET Staff

Yes, you can migrate from the hosting control panel when ever your ready.

We can migrate your account to a Windows 2008/IIS 7 or Windows 2012/IIS 8 server.

Migration includes moving your files, updating DNS, etc., but any configuration (directories set as application root, etc.) will not carry over, so you should assume that some adjustments will have to be made post-migration. Most ASP applications should work on both IIS 6, IIS 7, and IIS 8. But it is important to note that some ASP.NET applications may require modifications before they will work properly on IIS 7 or IIS 8.

If you have NOT tested your current site in Windows 2008/IIS 7 or Windows 2012/IIS 8, we do not recommend migration until you have had a chance to test the effects of the migration.

If you wish to proceed, please log into the Control Panel and click on the Account Info/Edit link on the menu to your left. Next to Server Type, click on the Upgrade link to begin the migration.

Once the migration has completed, please review the Account Information in the Control Panel for updated settings (e.g. your FTP username now follows a specific format: number, the pipe character and your user name):

https://my.discountasp.net/account-info.aspx

12. Thank you very much for the information, Martino.

13. mjp

mjp

As of this very moment, Windows 2012/IIS 8 is available in the UK data center. Thanks for your patience, and enjoy!

14. Upgrade went fluentely

I took a while, but finally the upgrade was available. I started it yesterday, it was easy and went fluently.

I have two questions:
    - I had to upload 'microsoft.web.infrastructure.dll' to the bin directory because otherwise it didn't work. I don't know why.
    - Windows 2012 should be able to use classic asp (http://forums.iis.net/t/1187679.aspx/1) . But it's not supported on this server. Is that with a reason?

15. RayH

RayH DiscountASP.NET Lackey DiscountASP.NET Staff

The assembly is not included in the GAC. Please see our blog:

http://blog.discountasp.net/getting-asp-net-mvc-3-working-on-discountasp-net/

What's the error message you're getting? You should be able to switch for Classic to Integrated Mode using the Control Panel.

16. Classic ASP should be available on our Win2k12 platforms in the US and UK data centers.

17. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

There was a misconfiguration on the server. fixed.

18. OK, thanks classic asp works now!