XD Portal V 1.0 Starter Kit

Discussion in 'ASP.NET Starter Kits' started by Ex-designz, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Hi Guys,

Check this new open source content management. You will find a lot of useful functions, tips and tricks.

Download URL: http://www.ex-designz.net/softwaredetail.asp?fid=2201
    Demo URL: http://www.ex-designz.net/xdportalscnshots/xdportal.htm

XD Portal V 1.0 is an ASP.NET 2.0 N-Tier open source web application written in C# and SQL stored procedure. XD Portal provides content management capabilities and administration tools to create a dynamic interactive database driven web sites such as community portal, intranet and other Internet portal application. This application is extendable and code is included in the download so you can play around.

XD Portal architecture:
    DAL > Model > BLL > UI

Features:
    1) Secured user login system
    2) Admin Manager Page to manage site configuration, contents and users, i.e. suspend user.
    1) Comment System
    2) Rating System
    5) Enabled/disabled comment through admin page.
    6) Send to a friend email in HTML format.
    7) User Registration photo upload
    9) CSS layout interface.
    12) Dynamic Layout swithcer i.e. Rows, Grid 2 Columns or Grid 3 Columns
    13) Optimized for SE
    14) Article/Blog Manager - Add, edit and delete article/blog

Regards,

Dexter

2. I'm having some difficulties setting this up on Discountasp server. The XDPortal.mdf file appears to have not been shutdown correctly. Meaning you simply just can't use the XDPortal.mdf file and attach it to the SQL database. I tried looking around the site 'www.ex-designz.net' site to find some .sql file I can run against the database to have the schema created but no luck. I posted on their forum on my issue and hopefully someone can give me a good .mdf file I can use to attach to the database. Once I get this I'll continue the setup process against our server. Will keep you posted on how this works out.

3. I finally got the app running. Had to download a new SQL database from www.ex-designz.net.
    The setup is pretty straight forward and you can pretty much follow the word document that comes with the application for installation steps.
    Here are my steps I did to quickly setup on Discountasp server.
    Note: I only tested it on an IIS 6 platform using a SQL 2005 database.

1. Download the zip file 'XDPortal_v1.zip' and uncompress it to a folder.
    2. Go to the web.config file and edit the connection string. Use this format.

<connectionStrings>
    <remove name="LocalSqlServer" />
    <add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="Data Source=DBServerName;Integrated Security=false;Initial Catalog=DBName;User ID=DBLogin;Password=DBPassword" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />
    </connectionStrings>

3. Scroll down on the web.config til you get to the mail settings element and change the smtp server to 'localhost' and update the email address to your email address.

4. Upload the entire file to your root directory.
    I uploaded the app in the root but if you choose to upload it to a subdirectory you will need to set that folder as an application folder in your hosting control panel.

5. The database is in .bak format under the App_data folder, go to your control panel and navigate to your SQL Management Tool and choose the 'Restore' feature. Type the correct path to the .bak SQL file to restore it on your SQL server.

That should do it. You can then go to your application and start making the necessary administrative adjustment to custom set it for your needs.

4. raymond, I know you work at Discountasp. I might need your help setting up XD Portal once is completed. I currently working on the Event Calendar, Link directory, newsletter, voting, download section, and the new homepage. The version you installed is only 60% complete. I will let you know when it's done.

Regards,

Dexter

5. Let me know when you got the web app done. I will go through the process of installing it on my own test account. Once I'm done I'll post the results and instructions.

6. Updated Information for XD Portal

raymondp,

I've installed the XD Portal and the site is up and running just fine - however, i cannot login to the site as an admin or any other user found in the user tables in the db.

I've created a new admin, tried changing the password to the existing admin but still can't get in.

Is there any new information on working with this portal?