Use external EMail service

Discussion in 'Email' started by vsuser, Jan 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.
  1. Hi,

I just signed up with DiscountAsp and so far loving it. I just finished attaching my mdf file.

OK..here is the deal..I have already setup email for my domain when I signed up a domain name with the registrar..so I dont need DiscountAsp's email service. I would like to have the current one.

Will I be able to change the DNS settings in control panel and remove MX records or anything? also I see, pop3 and imap servers for my domain. If I just remove those, will I get to just host website here and email elsewhere?

Thanks in advance

2. mjp

mjp

Well, you can remove the webmail, smtp, pop3 and imap entries from your DNS, but you will need MX entries that point to your third-party mail service. If you remove MX completely, mail for your domain won't go anywhere.

That's assuming the name servers for your domain point to us.

3. Similar question regarding MX record setup with GoDaddy

I too have an email account with the site where my domain is registered (GoDaddy). In order for me to finish setting up my accounts there it is asking me to configure my MX settings. I am pretty new to this and don't really even know what MX settings are.

These are the steps they've given me:
    ------------------------------
    To Change the MX Record

1. Log on to your hosting provider or third-party domain name system manager.
    2. Enter the correct MX record values. Your MX record values depend upon the type of email account that you purchased.
    ------------------------------

Where do the MX record values come from, and where can they be entered here? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your time!

4. mjp

mjp

The MX values would come from GoDaddy if GoDaddy is hosting your email.

You would enter the MX values in the DNS Manager.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.