Missing email?

Discussion in 'Email' started by BenVic, May 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.
  1. Hi,

I have a domain setup with 123-REG and I would like to use the DiscountASP email service.

All my email addresses are setup correctly in DiscountASP.

When testing it I can send emails to the email address setup in DiscountASP but they never seem to appear in my inbox (be it Outlook or the WebMail). No bounce back emails are recieved.

I suspect this is due to the MX records in 123-REG? They are currently setup as:

1) mx0.123-reg.co.uk.
    2) mx1.123-reg.co.uk.

I think this is incorrect and should be pointing at DiscountASP?

Please can someone point me in the right direction?

Many thanks in advance, Ben.

2. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

The mx is not pointing to us. You should contact support and ask for the proper MX record.

3. Thanks Bruce, sorry for the double post as well.

:)

4. mjp

mjp

Is there a reason you need to keep MX records pointing to the registrar? It's going to be difficult for us to troubleshoot when your registrar is handling the MX.

---

Actually, I just looked up your account and your name servers point to us and your MX record on our end points to internetmailserver (our MX), so I'm not sure where you have mx0.123-reg.co.uk set up. If it's at the registrar, you can delete any DNS settings and everything will default to us.

5. Hi,

No, there is no reason - I've been looking and still can't see what I've done wrong. I've checked and the MX records are pointing at DiscountASP.Net but emails are still going missing.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Many thanks in advance...

6. mjp

mjp

I think we need to clarify.

If the domain name you are having trouble with is: matt*****racing.co.uk, then your MX record is pointing to us:
    $ dig mx matt*****racing.co.uk
    ;; ANSWER SECTION:
    matt*****racing.co.uk. 3600 IN MX 10 sm06.internetmailserver.net.

The name servers for that domain point to us:
    $ whois matt*****racing.co.uk
    Name servers:
    ns1.discountasp.net
    ns2.discountasp.net
    ns3.discountasp.net

So it makes sense that the MX record is ours. Whatever MX record or DNS settings your registrar has won't matter, because no requests for your domain name will ever go to your registrar's DNS.

As for your test emails, you might try support and have them step you through some troubleshooting. Don't ask them for MX records though, you don't need them.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.