Live Smooth Streaming via IIS Media Services 4.0

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by propelnet00, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Hi,

This is cutting edge in the Microsoft world, and is the basis of one line of business interests for me with a current client. Adding this as a beta service will help me jump-start potential revenue streams.

Is there any interest in making this available? I like how you guys do business and want to continue working with y'all.

Sincerely,
    Brian S Boyd

2. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

if i am not mistaken, smooth streaming module didn't change w/ Media Service 4.0, ie. the module installed on the server is the same as the one that comes w/ Media Service 4.

3. If that's the case, can we simply enable 'Live' Smooth Streaming until the end of this January so that I can demo a proof of concept to a client?

4. mjp

mjp

Afraid not. We would never change server-wide configuration temporarily, and we do not change it to accommodate a single user's needs. That's for everyone's benefit.

5. I definitely appreciate maintainability issues.

Although I've just joined DASP, I see that you sometimes have sandbox or beta programs and this is what I'm speaking towards (the title of this section of the forum: DiscountASP.NET Labs - http://labs.discountasp.net Information and questions about DiscountASP's beta/sandbox programs).

Are there no other people asking about this? Is it too resource intensive for you to consider?

Thanks for all of your time spent reading and responding,
    Brian S Boyd

6. mjp

mjp

Live Smooth Streaming is very resource intensive, yes, and it introduces some other issues that aren't really ideal for a shared hosting server.

It's unlikely that we'll do any media stuff in labs, but you never know. We have no plans to at this time.

7. It's for a Kashmir Shaivism scholar, if that helps. I suspect that much of the resistance has to do with the shadier implementations of live streaming. Anyway, I've put in my vote for support (and have no idea how you could manage content). Cheers ... Brian

8. mjp

mjp

No, that was not a factor. When we decide not to offer something, it's typically for one of two reason; 1) not a good fit for a shared server, 2) insufficient user demand.

Which features and services we decide to offer is based on the technical and the marketing sides of the house.