1% conversion rate

Discussion in 'Site Design, SEO, Google and Site Promotion' started by nigpig, Jun 12, 2005.

1. Hi

I was wondering if you are a web master of have experiance of eCommerce sites if you would comment on the 1% conversion to sale rate I am atchieving.

I have seen that 5% is the norm. Is there anything I can do to give my visitors more confidence?
    Is there anything else I should change?

Thanks in advance

Nigel
    http://www.usb-products.com/store.aspx

2. UPDATE

I am now achieving a 4% conversion rate that I think is quite good. Down to improved site layout and graphics!
    Not to mension the effort and determination to make this site work and provide an excellent service.

Thanks to all who have helped me.

nigel

Nigel Stephens
    http://www.USB-Products.com
    Your connection to Information

3. Conversion rates will always vary based on products offered.

One think we have found out in eCommerce is that site appearance makes a HUGE impression.

If it looks plain vanilla like a million other sites odds are the consumer will go hunting other places as well.

If the site looks unique and is pleasing to their eye's they shop, often even shop for more. Often tell others etc.

Our site is actually undergoing its 4th appearance transition.

We are very very good at page designs, views and compatibility.

To date we have established over 75 commerce webs for local businesses and only had one of them fail to make exceptional revenues. The reason they did not is basically it is difficult to sell dollar store items online. We informed them of this fact before we built their web but they still wanted it.

But think about it....

All you have on the web when a potential customer hits your site is the appearance. You do not have a chance to speak in person with them like they walked into a brick and morter.

As such appearances count which means the site ought be just gorgeous and unique looking.

Alot of sites choose to use things such as Flash menu's and Flash graphics etc. These are all neato and such but for commerce its not a good idea. Its not a good idea because search spider bots dont tend to spider 'fancy' content. For example, they cant spider a flash animation ot say a video file etc.

Its ok to use things like Mouseovers etc. and really thats all thats needed for a little response to user mousing.

A site does not need to be all fancy with drop down menus, animations on and on to be effective. Simple is often better but that doesnt mean that it cant be highly attractive, often more attractive than those with the bells and whistles.

We do site/graphic design as well as full commerce sites as well as our own ecommerce venues. We sell product all over the world.

But to get an idea of visually pleasing check out www.rochnet.net

Its a work still in progress but customers just love the looks.