access or sql

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by joshbeagley, Aug 25, 2006.

1. joshbeagley

joshbeagley Guest

Dear friends, forgive me if I'm asking a question that's already been tackled 5 times. I'm making the switch from classic to .net and so far things are going pretty well, but I'm hung up with an access/sql battle. My question basically is this: Do I use .mdb files or sql server?

Here's my situation in a nutshell, my site runs on 3 servers...
    Server 1 - my personal pc with dummy data
    Server 2 - discountaspwith dummy data
    Server 3 -the server at work, which is the real version

At thesign inpage, a script sets a session var to show which server is being used, this way the correct database connection settings will be called throughout the rest of the site. With classic asp, I was never able to get.asprunning on my own pc (windows home), so I just used discountasp as my lab. Now with MS development tools I've been able to get .aspx files running (which is good being in Iraq, since I have no ftp accessto anything). I'm trying to connect to a .mdb file and I think it works, but I haven't tried to display anything yet. I would REALLY like to use the web controls that .net provides, but I'm not sure if I can do that while connected to a .mdb I would be happy to switch to sql server on my own PC, IF I could find an affordable (or free[​IMG] ) way to do it. I'm happy with either .mdb or sql, I just want to use the .net controls. If someone can point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated. thanks

Josh

2. SQL Server has it's obvious benefits however Access still holds it's own for portability.
    You can have both, even large companies like Siemens uses Access to get data to a SQL Server database.
    The disconnected databases in .NET are also something you can use across both platforms.

I don't really think there's a clear answer but there are correct choices for special needs.
    Few things to consider are simplicity, security, database size and robustness.

3. Though accesswould have been fine with.NET 1.1 to meet the basic requirements,but I recommendyou to useMS SQL 2005 if you plan to use .NET 2.0.Some new features in MS SQL 2005 go really well with new controlswithin the.NET 2.0.

Vikram

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

4. joshbeagley

joshbeagley Guest

thanks for the help, I think i'm going to find sql server