Add new tables in the SQL 2005 database at discountasp

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by ie1jch, Mar 1, 2006.

1. I tried to add a new table in my discountasp.net database. It would not let me. I tried to add column/modify existing table. It would not let me. Why? and what can I do to over come this.
    Please help
    Thanks

2. need more info. what error are you getting. how did you attempt to make these changes? when did this stop working?

Joel Thoms

DiscountASP.NET
    http://www.DiscountASP.NET

3. I got the error message

"This feature is not supported by Microsoft Visual Web Developer Express"

4. Do you have the Enterprise Manager (sql 2000) or the Management Studio (sql 2005) ?

Another question is did you create a seperate DB login? If so you need to give the login rights to create tables.

5. I have the sql 2005.

Why can't I add table in the database? What should I do to create a table or a spreadsheet that I can use in my web application such as Gridview in the VWD?

All I want to accomplish is to have a spreadsheet/database on the page and let the login users modify some data.

Thanks

Post Edited (JCH) : 3/1/2006 7:02:49 PM GMT

6. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

This is kinda of a VS.NET tradition!!

different version of VS.NET have different database management capability. MS has been doing this since VS.NET 2002.

I think only in prof & enterprise version, you get to create tables and stuff.

Why are they doing this??? I have no f**king idea!!

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

7. Bruce,

Do you have any suggestion? I am sure appreciate your help.

Jinchun

8. is the error being generated from the tool you are using or from the sql server? if it is coming from the tool, i'm guessing there is no work around and you will have to find a new tool to admin the db.

Joel Thoms

DiscountASP.NET
    http://www.DiscountASP.NET

9. The problem is from the VWD 2005 express. I guess it can not manage database other than sql express. That's really s**k.

Any suggestion of what tool to get to handle this ecconomically?

Another question, Is it possible to create a web page that has a buttun to let people upload a spreadsheet fileand download a spreadsheet file without open it on the web page. How to do that ?

Thanks

10. What you can do is buy SQL 2005 Developer Edition (should be less than $50), and it comes with SQL Management Studio tool. You can use this to manage your database, create tables, etc.

Aristotle

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

11. I found this comment on amazon. :)

'So your choices for asp.net developers are

A: Buy VS 2005 pro which comes with a developer copy of SQL 2005 in which case you wouldn't need this individual copy.

B: Use VWD express and SQL 2005 express, but without any of the admin tools for SQL 2005.'

Hmmm. :(

There is a SQL Server Management Express you could try.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...59-57A4-455E-A2D6-1D4C98D40F6E&displaylang=en

Good luck,
    -Ruiz

12. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

note that SQL Server Management Express is still in beta.

According to our contact at MSFT, this will be released some time in June.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

13. All in all MS SQL2005 is pretty useless at the moment.

We can connect easy enough but can't actually make use of it unless we happen to have a MS SQL server at home.

Code would run on discountasp server (local connection) but the developement cycle then is horrible even for tiny changes to the web application, edit code, upload to server, run it, edit code ....

But even then all you can do isplay withtables.

I don't blame discountasp for this, it's MS releasing it before they have any tools that work with it. I can't imagine that it would have been a great problem for them to allow the use of existing tools that just didn't make use of any new features, that can only be a marketing decision. I can't help wondering if the tools would work anyway if we could find a way to fool it into thinking its a SQL2000.

I'm sat here with a new MS VS 2005 (fairly new), MS Access (very new) and VWD, but have nothing at all I can use to develop the database side for an application. The cost of all of this has me having to live on stale bread and water for a few months.

If I downgrade my discountasp account to MS SQL 2000 instead, will I be able to use these tools or will it still cost me more?

Rassler
    One of those dreaded IT/Programmer types.
    Which generally means, failed to make a decent living at programming so do IT too.

14. I had this same problem of not being able to manipulate remote databases through Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition and solved it by downloading the trial version of MS SQL 2005. (http://www.microsoft.com/sql/downloads/trial-software.mspx)</o:p>
    It comes with Management Studio (the tool that replaced Enterprise Manager from SQL2000) whichI use to create/modify the tables in my SQL2005 database with discountasp.net.</o:p>
    I also ordered a DVD with the 180-day trial version of Visual Studio 2005 (http://msdn.microsoft.com/trial/) that I also use to connect to discountasp.net and manipulate my SQL2005 databases through the database IDE the same way I can do with local databases using VWD 2005 Express Edition</o:p>
    These are just temporary solutions, but sure enough decreased my frustration level![​IMG]

15. I had tried that trial version, but even following the instructions word by word couldn't get it to work on two machines, but I tried again anyway from your link and it works fine.

It looks very similar to the tool that is used in the training videos in vwd except his is integrated. So I suspect that is what we are going to get in the release version of vwd.

Rassler
    One of those dreaded IT/Programmer types.
    Which generally means, failed to make a decent living at programming so do IT too.