advice for building localized search results

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by tinyplaygro, Nov 8, 2007.

1. I am building a website where users can enter classified ad-style listings. All geo fields are optional (address, state, city, zip, etc) so if they don't enter anything their ad comes up in all search results, but if they enter a zip, state, etc it should only come up for users that have filtered for that location. I want to have users select only a City, State. Can anyone point me in the direction of an article or white paper that has design tips or pattern ideas? I know this has been solved for a million times - (citysearch for example)

Thanks in advance!

2. This is really just a matter of how you search for your results. Have your application build the SELECT statement that you run based on what input the application receives.

3. Got that, but what about this example

A record in the database has a zip code as its geographical info but no city, state, etc. (zip code = 10022)

A user searchs for listings within New York NY. We want to include 10022 b/c that zip is in NY. Is this about aquiring a database of zip codes and their lattitude/longitude coordinates and comparing that to the coordinates of the user's city? Or mapping all US zip codes to a city, state? Do you know where I can get this info?

Would also want to do a reverse search where user entrers a zip code of a city and we return results of that city that dont contain zips.

I think I may have answered my question w/ the zip code mapped against city/state table but just wondering what others have done.

Thanks