Ajax Extenders Toolkit 1.0 Issue with .Net Framework 3.5 and Visual Web Developer 2008 Beta

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by Chicago_Lar, Sep 15, 2007.

1. There?s a known issue with Visual Web Developer 2008 beta, which will be fixed before the final release.
    </o:p>
    Here?s the problem I ran into. I had both Ajax 1.0 and 3.5 installed on my PC, and even though I explicitly specified I wanted my application to use 1.0 in both the Web.Config file and in my various other files, it was ignoring me and using version 3.5 instead.
    And that caused the SlideShowExtender to malfunction. I spent hours trying patches to my code and Google-researching to find an answer, and I?m posting this in case anyone else runs into the problem.
    .Net Framework 3.5 beta comes with <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Ajax 3.5 already installed (which I didn?t know). And if you build an application, as I did, in Visual Web Developer 2008 using version 3.5 of the <st1:City w:st="on">Ajax toolkit, and then convert it back to <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Ajax version 1.0 in order to deploy it on the web, it may still reference the Ajax 3.5 DLLs even though you?ve told it otherwise.
    Compounding the confusion was that my application ran fine on my local PC, but wouldn?t run at all on my website. And most the error messages I was getting along the way were fairly misleading.
    So if you have VWDE 2008 and .Net 3.5 on your machine, and you?re using <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Ajax 1.0 and running into the same problem as I, here?s the steps to fix things:
    Uninstall <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Ajax Extensions 1.0
    In order to resolve the Multi-targeting issue, run the script located under ?Machine Prerequisites? at:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/webdevtools/archive/2007/07/30/using-vs-2008-to-target-asp-net-ajax-1-0.aspx</o:p>
    Reinstall <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Ajax Extensions 1.0
    1. In Window?s Explorer, go to the folder:</o:p>
    \Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\v3.5</o:p>
    2. Create a folder entitled ?AjaxDLLsBackup? at this location.</o:p>
    3. Move the following two assembliesfrom </o:p>
    \Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\v3.5 </o:p>
    to the new ?AjaxDLLsBackup? folder</o:p>
    <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">System.Web.Extensions.dll</o:p>[/I]
    <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">System.Web.Extensions.Design.dll</o:p>[/I]
    At this point, you should be up and running.
    Oh, the joys of beta testing. Laissez les bons temps rouler. (Let the good times roll) [​IMG]
    Lar