AJAX version 1.0 Beta Released

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by wisemx, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

have you played w/ this yet?

I heard this version requires GAC installation.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

2. I've just been playing with the beta release and, sure enough, it requires GAC installation of assembly Microsoft.Web.Extensions. Without this the AjaxControlTookit won't work (.... unless anyone knows better!)

Is this something that's going to be supported on DiscountASP or should I just forget about it?

If it is going to be supported, any idea when?

3. Bruce

At this stage, we can't confirm anything.

We'll need to test this in our development environment and make sure it works fine.

1 thing i can be sure of is that we will not install anything beta on our production server. So... don't expect this until it gets out of beta.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

4. UGGH! I've been developing & testing this for the last week and need some of the new features. DASP was allowing 'Atlas' and I thought this was the latest atlas basically

5. Bruce

I know!! that caught us by surprise too.

All the previous version of AJAX do not require GAC installation. No idea why MSFT would change it.

I wonder if you can just stick the web.extension dll into the bin!!

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

6. I have already tried that with no success. I updated the config and added ajaxcontrolkit, ajaxextensions, and microsoft.web to the bin, but it gave me a configuration error:
    Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

web.config error:
    <add assembly='Microsoft.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35'/>

7. This is why I like Anthem.net (http://anthemdotnet.com/). One dll, no GAC, no changes to your web.config.

It's a lot more simple to use as well, I suggest some of you guys interested in "atlas" check out anthem.net.

Joel Thoms
    DiscountASP.NET
    http://www.DiscountASP.NET

8. the problem is that my needs require the functionality of the new asp.net ajax extensions. For example, I need the new ValidatorCallout server control...something I've waited a while for and perfectly fits my needs right now.

9. Bruce

10. Bruce

11. I've followed all of these steps but i can't get it worked.

I've a security error when i placed the dll in the bin :

Maybe it's linked to the trust level ??

Please help me out with this.

---

Security Exception
    Description: The application attempted to perform an operation not allowed by the security policy. To grant this application the required permission please contact your system administrator or change the application's trust level in the configuration file.

Exception Details: System.Security.SecurityException: Request for the permission of type 'System.Configuration.ConfigurationPermission, System.Configuration, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' failed.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[SecurityException: Request for the permission of type 'System.Configuration.ConfigurationPermission, System.Configuration, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' failed.]
    System.Security.CodeAccessSecurityEngine.Check(Object demand, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean isPermSet) +0
    System.Security.CodeAccessPermission.Demand() +59
    System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.CheckPermissionAllowed(String configKey, Boolean requirePermission, Boolean isTrustedWithoutAptca) +65

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.42

</font>

12. Bruce

I don't think this error is related to the AJAX toolkit. What else does your application do?

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

13. It's Ok.

I've sorted it out, it was with the trust level indeed.

I deployed within medium trust, that's why i was getting the security error stuffs.

Luckyhuss

14. Bruce

15. Thank you Joel Thoms, Anthem worked first time right out of the box. Am still wrestling with the "Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Web.Extensions" error. Would you feel comfortable using Anthem in a professional production environment?
    very much appreciated!

16. You need to find the dll you're missing (i think its just Microsoft.Web.Extensions.dll)and put it into the bin directory. There's another post here about it.

Ya I've used anthem in many places and haven't had a problem yet. I'm using it here too... http://joel.net/test.aspx if you want to peek at something new I'm creating. (the icons use gravatar which is usually down -- so no avatars).

Joel Thoms
    DiscountASP.NET
    http://www.DiscountASP.NET

17. The trouble was that when I downloaded the Atlas a.k.a. AJAX Extensions that dll didn't seem to come with it.
    The library has different names than what was in the sample code project.
    Will take another look, thanks for the tip.

Test blog looks very cool BTW!

much appreciated - jh

18. Sorry for the delay guys.
    To answer Bruce, yes, I was able to get the new Ajax version working within an hour of my original post, just a bit tricky but no problems.
    All the best,
    Mark

19. Does anyone know the timeline for Microsoft's Ajax final release? I haven't been able to find an date anywhere (big surprise!)

20. Bruce

I think they are planning for a end of year release.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET