Ajax

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by Briann, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Hi,
    Does a hosting company that already hosts ASP.Net 2.0 have to do anything to enable AJAX (the RC. Toolkit, Codeplex TCP stuff), or is it all up to the applilation developers to add what's needed to their applications and upload the correct files to the hosting co.?
    I'm looking to enable AJAX functionality to my site, as part of an upgrade to 2.0 Also, I read a post from a developer using another hosting co. that says they won't support AJAX at this time. Does that mean this person can't use AJAX enabled pages, or just that their hosting co. won't help him with answers?
    Along with this, is there a KB article here (DASP), on using AJAX - I couldn't find it. I'd like to see exactly what is supported, what isn't, and what a developer needs to do to have an AJAX enabled page working here. Thanks BRN..

Post Edited By Moderator (mjp) : 12/26/2006 10:13:32 PM GMT

2. DASP allows us to use which ever version we want, we have full access to the /bin/ folder and the root web.config file.

3. Hi,
    Thanks for the reply. I hadn't seen the second post link, and that gives me a little better idea of what's going on. I still think that a clear (requirements - walkthough), KB article would be very helpful. ASP.Net being dominated by server side functionality (and sometimes server side compilation), that it's not obvious what's NOT required of the server to enable branded (microsoft) versions of clientside functionality - like MS AJAX. Most AJAX tutorials I've seen don't don't even address the notion of using a hosting company for an MS AJAX enabled website - their focus is on the Tools (like visual studio), the components (the now RC, controls, the Toolkit, and the Codeplex CTP controls), and the techniques for adding the functionality to a page. This is further blured by the the compilation schemes between VS 2005 Websites and Wenb Application Projects. Because the technology is still being developed and is new to a lot of us, knowing that we have the server side requirements taken care of eliminates one area of concern in development and testing. Thanks again BRN..

4. Hi,
    Thanks for the reply, but I'm still not clear on what, if anything a web hosting company must do to enable MS AJAX for it's users. Your reply suggests that it's DASP allowing access to /bin/ folder and root web.config file (don't all hosting companies allow this?), is all that's needed to let a user create and have an MS AJAX site hosted. By '...which ever version...' do you mean any MS AJAX, or any AJAX technology we choose? Sorry if I'm sounding a bit thick; I'm not up to speed on what is envolved in hosting an AJAX enabled website. The main question is: does a hosting company have to do or provide anything (other than what any hosting company that supports ASP.Net 2.0 framework), to host MS AJAX enabled web apps?
    Thanks none the less. BRN..

5. Takeshi Eto

Takeshi Eto DiscountASP.NET Staff

6. Takeshi Eto

Takeshi Eto DiscountASP.NET Staff

We typically do not create KB articles for beta or pre-release stuff and post what we find in the Community Forum. We are in the same boat as everyone else on the pre-release versions and Microsoft does not provide support either.

Eric
    DiscountASP.NET
    http://www.DiscountASP.NET

7. Thanks,
    That makes sense. My assesment is that there are a lot of people treating AJAX as proven technology. A lot of that is likely markting hype from (guess who?). In any case, while I do want to experiment with it, I'm not counting on using it for a production website - I take it that's your recommendation as well. I'll look over the posts here to get more of a sense of what works now, and how to implement it. BRN..

8. I see that MS is slated to move AJAX to a fully supported release this month. Is DASP going to be part of that move? Has MS done anything to coordinate with ASP.Net centric hosting companies, like DASP, on the change in AJAX status? Will there be a KB entry to help users here when the change happens? Thanks, BRN..