Am I allowed to create a global Themes directory on IIS?

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by ianmac, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Hi,

I'm looking into creating a global themes directory so that I can share my themes between separate applications. I found this blog entry that shows me how to do it:

http://weblogs.asp.net/vimodi/pages/ThemesFaqs.aspx

My question is - can I do this on the DiscountASP.Net hosting package? Ive had a look around in the control panel and can't see how to do it. Is it possible? If not, what other methods are open to me to share my Themes between web applications in a "DiscountASP.Net-friendly" way?

Thanks.

2. mjp

mjp

To share a theme between different applications it looks like you have to add files to \ASP.NETClientFiles or \aspnet_client\system_web. You cannot do that from your end, and we cannot add them for you. We do not change server configuration unless we change it on all servers, and you can see how that wouldn't really work for this.

The only custom server configuration we can do is something inside your directory on the server. So if you leave and we remove that directory, all of your customization is also removed. We have to enforce those limitations to maintain a manageable infrastructure.

3. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

do you mean you want to share the theme for different applications within a domain OR do you mean you want to share the themes between different domain names?

4. I want to share the theme between different applications within a single domain.

5. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

then we can do what MJP suggested in the previous post.

Create a support ticket and request them to remove the aspnet_client virtual directory. Once done, you can upload your own aspnet_client directory containing the theme.