Anyone using LiveSearch?

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by Harvey Birdman, Jan 17, 2008.

1. I've implemented a search function on my site using the information in the MSDN LiveSearch tutorial from September. It worked fine for about a week.

[​IMG]

I haven't changed anything on it, and it still works here on my development server, but starting last night I've been receiving error messages from the version running here.

It's a long stack dump, but here's the first several lines:

System.Web.HttpUnhandledException: Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown. ---> System.InvalidOperationException: Method MSNSearchService.Search can not be reflected. ---> System.InvalidOperationException: There was an error reflecting 'Request'. ---> System.InvalidOperationException: There was an error reflecting type 'msn.search.soap.SearchRequest'. ---> System.InvalidOperationException: There was an error reflecting property 'Requests'. ---> System.InvalidOperationException: There was an error reflecting type 'msn.search.soap.SourceRequest'. ---> System.Reflection.CustomAttributeFormatException: Binary format of the specified custom attribute was invalid.

Does anyone have any idea what this might be about? The relevant code was not changed, and like I said, it still works here.

Other than a direct solution, anyone have any idea where I'd locate the appropriate support newsgroup at MSDN? I can't find anything even remotely relevant.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. I have an account with Msft, and APP ID for the Live tools, conducted a search just now and found nothing on this.
    Looked in MSDN, Live SDK and used Live Search....Nada.

3. Well, it was fun while it lasted, then.

[​IMG]

That article had problems to begin with. The code seemed to work but the markup was all #$%$#ed up - it didn't work at all. And now the code mysteriously fails on the production site after working for one week.

It'd be nice if DASP provided Index Server capabilityso search functions could be implemented locally instead of being dependent on a 3rd party web service... hello?

[​IMG]

4. The ASP FSO method I'm using here does work on ASP.NET pages if you want to give it a spin.
    I've done some tricky stuff with it over the years, maybe you did too.
    Server.CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

Matter of fact, it can do too good a job at times so you have to pulls the reigns back on it a bit. [​IMG]

By the way, I'm using the Live Translater services here with no problems so far.

5. I've used it (FSO), but not to implement search capability. Is this a common use? I'll go snoop through my MSDN docs and see if I can find something...

You say you're not having any trouble, and I don't from here... the bottom line is adding this feature was meant to be an afternoon project, and I just don't have the time to troublshoot it. It's always the same when you use 3rd party code snippets instead of writing your own - it's a great time-saver if it works, and a great time-waster if it doesn't.

Post Edited (Harvey Birdman) : 1/17/2008 4:03:32 PM GMT

6. I've been meaning to add the Live Search tools but don't have enough to test with yet.
    My new tutorials will all be in ASP.NET but the current tutorials are all classic ASP.
    So I'm guessing it's about 3 weeks from now before I try it out.

7. Yeah, I just commented the markup out and left the code files where they were. I'll probably have a chance to look at it next week, anyway - it'll just have to wait till then.
    [​IMG]

8. Thanks, handy info bro.
    I don't use either method, once I test locally I use the Copy Website feature or sync with Dreamweaver.
    Yup, Dreamweaver 2004 MX syncs like a dream. (Doesn't code like a dream but does sync like one.)

9. Hey, Mark (and anyone else following along)

Fixed it. It seems that running the site through the 'Web Deployment Project' process somehow breaks the search function. I can publish it as pre-compiled, no debug symbols, strong key signed, etc, and it works. But if I run it through the Deployment Project process it breaks. The only difference is that the deploymentprocess runs it through aspnet_merge.exe and creates a single core assembly; apparently there's something about that the search function doesn't like.