ASP .NET 2.0 Membership issue ... Your login attempt was not successful.

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by jfurnier, Jan 2, 2008.

1. I too have been able to save the user names and passwords to the database which is on discountasp servers. But when I try to login, it tells me 'Your login attempt was not successful.'. I have added the applicationname="/" to the <membership> and it still doesn't work. Is there anything that needs to be tweaked to be able to actually log in one of the users I have created?Thank you very much!

2. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

3. I wouldcheck the entries in your membership database:

1. Open the aspnet_Applications table and see what the ApplicationName is.
    2. Open the aspnet_Users table and see if theUserName you created exist and that their corresponding ApplicationId is correct.

Aristotle

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

4. Thank you for the suggestion but I did follow that article prior to the initial posting.

5. Take a look at this:
    http://authors.aspalliance.com/aspxtreme/sys/web/security/MembershipClass.aspx

6. Can you post your web.config, edit out the password in your connection string. Thanks.

Aristotle

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

7. <!--

Note: As an alternative to hand editing this file you can use the

web admin tool to configure settings for your application. Use

the Website->Asp.Net Configuration option in Visual Studio.

A full list of settings and comments can be found in

machine.config.comments usually located in

\Windows\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v2.x\Config

-->

<configuration>

<configSections>

<sectionGroup name="system.web.extensions" type="System.Web.Configuration.SystemWebExtensionsSectionGroup, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35">

<sectionGroup name="scripting" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingSectionGroup, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35">

<section name="scriptResourceHandler" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingScriptResourceHandlerSection, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" requirePermission="false" allowDefinition="MachineToApplication"/>

<sectionGroup name="webServices" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingWebServicesSectionGroup, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35">

<section name="jsonSerialization" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingJsonSerializationSection, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" requirePermission="false" allowDefinition="Everywhere"/>

<section name="profileService" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingProfileServiceSection, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" requirePermission="false" allowDefinition="MachineToApplication"/>

<section name="authenticationService" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingAuthenticationServiceSection, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" requirePermission="false" allowDefinition="MachineToApplication"/>

<section name="roleService" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingRoleServiceSection, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" requirePermission="false" allowDefinition="MachineToApplication"/>

</sectionGroup>

</sectionGroup>

</sectionGroup>

</configSections>

<appSettings/>

<connectionStrings>

<remove name="LocalSqlServer" />

<add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="Data Source=tcp:sql2k505.discountasp.net;Integrated Security=false;Initial Catalog=SQL2005_419191_sportstalk;User ID=*****;Password=*****"

providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

</connectionStrings>

<system.web>

<!--

Set compilation debug="true" to insert debugging

symbols into the compiled page. Because this

affects performance, set this value to true only

during development.

Visual Basic options:

Set strict="true" to disallow all data type conversions

where data loss can occur.

Set explicit="true" to force declaration of all variables.

-->

<authorization>

<allow roles="Administrator" />

</authorization>

<roleManager enabled="true" defaultProvider="AspNetSqlRoleProvider">

<providers>

<clear/>

<add name="AspNetSqlRoleProvider"

type="System.Web.Security.SqlRoleProvider"

connectionStringName="LocalSqlServer"

applicationName="/SportsTalkCoastToCoast"

/>

</providers>

</roleManager >

<membership defaultProvider="AspNetSqlMembershipProvider">

<providers>

<clear/>

<add name="AspNetSqlMembershipProvider"

type="System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider"

connectionStringName="LocalSqlServer"

applicationName="/SportsTalkCoastToCoast"

/>

</providers>

</membership>

<authentication mode="Forms" />

<compilation debug="true" strict="false" explicit="true">

<assemblies>

<add assembly="System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089"/>

<add assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>

<add assembly="System.Data.DataSetExtensions, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089"/>

<add assembly="System.Xml.Linq, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089"/>

<add assembly="System.Design, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A"/>

<add assembly="System.Windows.Forms, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089"/>

<add assembly="System.Data.Linq, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089"/>

</assemblies>

</compilation>

<pages>

<namespaces>

<clear/>

<add namespace="System"/>

<add namespace="System.Collections"/>

<add namespace="System.Collections.Generic"/>

<add namespace="System.Collections.Specialized"/>

<add namespace="System.Configuration"/>

<add namespace="System.Text"/>

<add namespace="System.Text.RegularExpressions"/>

<add namespace="System.Linq"/>

<add namespace="System.Xml.Linq"/>

<add namespace="System.Web"/>

<add namespace="System.Web.Caching"/>

<add namespace="System.Web.SessionState"/>

<add namespace="System.Web.Security"/>

<add namespace="System.Web.Profile"/>

<add namespace="System.Web.UI"/>

<add namespace="System.Web.UI.WebControls"/>

<add namespace="System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebParts"/>

<add namespace="System.Web.UI.HtmlControls"/>

</namespaces>

<controls>

<add tagPrefix="asp" namespace="System.Web.UI" assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>

<add tagPrefix="asp" namespace="System.Web.UI.WebControls" assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>

</controls>

</pages>

<!--

The <authentication> section enables configuration

of the security authentication mode used by

ASP.NET to identify an incoming user.

-->

<!--

The <customErrors> section enables configuration

of what to do if/when an unhandled error occurs

during the execution of a request. Specifically,

it enables developers to configure html error pages

to be displayed in place of a error stack trace.

<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="GenericErrorPage.htm">

<error statusCode="403" redirect="NoAccess.htm" />

<error statusCode="404" redirect="FileNotFound.htm" />

</customErrors>

-->

<httpHandlers>

<remove verb="*" path="*.asmx"/>

<add verb="*" path="*.asmx" validate="false" type="System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>

<add verb="*" path="*_AppService.axd" validate="false" type="System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>

<add verb="GET,HEAD" path="ScriptResource.axd" type="System.Web.Handlers.ScriptResourceHandler, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" validate="false"/>

</httpHandlers>

<httpModules>

<add name="ScriptModule" type="System.Web.Handlers.ScriptModule, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>

</httpModules>

</system.web>

<system.codedom>

<compilers>

<compiler language="c#;cs;csharp" extension=".cs" compilerOptions="/warnaserror-" warningLevel="4" type="Microsoft.CSharp.CSharpCodeProvider, System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089">

<providerOption name="CompilerVersion" value="v3.5"/>

</compiler>

<compiler language="vb;vbs;visualbasic;vbscript" extension=".vb" compilerOptions="/optioninfer+" type="Microsoft.VisualBasic.VBCodeProvider, System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089">

<providerOption name="CompilerVersion" value="v3.5"/>

</compiler>

</compilers>

</system.codedom>

<!--

The system.webServer section is required for running ASP.NET AJAX under Internet

Information Services 7.0. It is not necessary for previous version of IIS.

-->

<system.webServer>

<validation validateIntegratedModeConfiguration="false"/>

<modules>

<add name="ScriptModule" preCondition="integratedMode" type="System.Web.Handlers.ScriptModule, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>

</modules>

<handlers>

<remove name="WebServiceHandlerFactory-Integrated"/>

<add name="ScriptHandlerFactory" verb="*" path="*.asmx" preCondition="integratedMode" type="System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>

<add name="ScriptHandlerFactoryAppServices" verb="*" path="*_AppService.axd" preCondition="integratedMode" type="System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>

<add name="ScriptResource" preCondition="integratedMode" verb="GET,HEAD" path="ScriptResource.axd" type="System.Web.Handlers.ScriptResourceHandler, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>

</handlers>

</system.webServer>

</configuration>

8. Thank you for this but I have a question that is why does it save the user and password but when I go to login with that user and password, I get the error message????

9. Assuming that the user you created is in the Administrator role, then I don't see why it shouldn't work. Try resetting the password for that user.

Aristotle

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

10. I have a feeling that your development environment is not the same as your live application on the DiscountASP server. Are you sure you uploaded/updated the web.config on your DiscountASP site? It's the only explanation that I can think of at this point.

Aristotle

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

11. When I go into the asp .net configuration and I go to provider tab, it says the provider is aspnetsqlprovider which is never referenced in the web.configfile. It does have the correct number of users in it when I go to the Security tab. Does this sound ok to you?

12. When I go into the asp .net configuration and I go to provider tab, it says the provider is aspnetsqlprovider which is never referenced in the web.configfile. It does have the correct number of users in it when I go to the Security tab. Does this sound ok to you?

13. Thank you again for responding to my issue!

I am currently running this locally on my computer. It isn't put up on the server yet.

14. Have you verified there is anapplicationName of '/SportsTalkCoastToCoast' in the dbo.aspnet_Applications table? The reason I ask is you initially said you had set applicationName="/" butthe web.config you posted states applicationName="/SportsTalkCoastToCoast". Also I compared my existing web.config membership &amp; roleManager tags to yours. My roleManager does notcontainany provider tags defined beneath it. Beloware my web.config values if it's of any help...

<roleManager enabled="true" />

<membership>
    <providers>
    <clear/>
    <add name="AspNetSqlMembershipProvider" type="System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider, System.Web, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a" connectionStringName="LocalSqlServer" enablePasswordRetrieval="false" enablePasswordReset="true" requiresQuestionAndAnswer="true" applicationName="/" requiresUniqueEmail="true" passwordFormat="Hashed" maxInvalidPasswordAttempts="5" minRequiredPasswordLength="7" minRequiredNonalphanumericCharacters="0" passwordAttemptWindow="10" passwordStrengthRegularExpression=""/>
    </providers>
    </membership>

To confirm, my applicationName is currently "/", this may differ for you. I hope I've been of some help.