ASP.NEt State Service

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by vvsharma, Nov 29, 2006.

1. No,we only support Inproc and SqlServer based sessions.

For more info: See,http://kb.discountasp.net/article.aspx?id=10350

Vikram

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

Post Edited (vvsharma) : 11/29/2006 8:45:40 PM GMT

2. Hi.

Im using stateserver on my session variables..Are "asp.net state service" enabled by default??

thanks

Post Edited By Moderator (mjp) : 12/5/2006 1:51:40 AM GMT

3. No, its from a different network. Im sosrry, I dont think its a browser issue (using IE:6), The problem pc connects to a LINUX server, after opening the ports the site runs smoothly. Any help? Thanks

4. Your firewall can become an issue if the server can't communicate back to your pc on the same ports that the browser started the connection from.

Aristotle

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

5. This is not the cause of why the session data is lost, Global.asax was not modofied, bin directory was not modified, no virus scanning software. This guy also is a subscriber of Discountasp.net (http://www.thescripts.com/forum/threadnav51210-2-10.html) we have exactly the same problem. Can you please give me an alternative way?? Thanks

6. Hi.

Ok If im going to buy new MS SQL database and use SQLserver as mode of using ASPsessiondoes this solves the problem? Thanks

7. I doubt that using SQL server matters. It's your firewall that's the problem, not the way sessions are stored.

Aristotle

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

8. This is driving me crazy. The firewall is blocking the port that is being used by the client pc. So,the only reason why i want to use sql is because i think, it will use diff port,i assume the same port will be used when connecting to database, am i right? Yes, the user can login to my site (connecting to the db of course) but storing values on sessions is not working on some pc's.

9. First of all, thanks Vikram for your input. I really appreciate it.

Actually i have no problems using the inProc modes for sessions, however, there is one pc that may seem losing the session variables. The serious problem is that once you have logged into the site the next pageyou try to open logs the user out. So basically the session variables are getting lost/cleared. The site is perfectly fine on other computers. Btw, i found out that the firewall of the problem pc is blocking the port 1025-65000, which based on my understanding is being used by the RPC; do you have any suggestions? SQLServer mode is a good choice, but what if dont wanna buy a new database? why cant i use my exisitng database? Thanks.

10. Are all the pc's on the same network?If yes,then its not a firewall thats causing the session to expire.I believe there is an issue with the browser.Try using cookieless configuration and see if this resolves the problem on that pc.

Vikram

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

11. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

i think SQL session is going to help, i would definitely give this a try.

BTW, do you have a way to replicate the problem? I can give it a try on my computer, if i can replicate, the problem is a server issue.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

12. Hi.

I dont have LINUX serveror a firewall here to replicate what my clients' encountered.
    Maybe this is somewhat similar to what theyve experienced:

Go to
    Tools > Internet Options > Privacy > Advanced > Check override auto cookie handling >
    Block First party& Block Third Party Cookies.

They can login to the site but after going to the second page all the session variables were gone.
    BTW, is it possible to assign which port to communicate in ASP.net?. Thanks

13. I think the client initiates what port to use when it makes the request to the web server. And it's random.

Aristotle

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET