ATT Yahoo SSL Authentication problem

Discussion in 'Email' started by madvox, Feb 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.
  1. Hi,

I am currently corresponding with my ISP (ATT Yahoo) but I thought I would post here since I am likely to get an answer quicker. The problem is this:

I use my own pop3 servers (from discounntasp) to receive email. But, sinceI am not allowed to send unencrypted e-mail (ISP restriction which I agree with), I cannot use my discountasp domain to send smtp mail. So, I use the smtp.att.yahoo.com.

Here is the problem... yahoo wants that smtp to be ssl encrypted. So in Outlook (not express, the regular one), I can change the settings so that outgoing email is ssl encrypted, port 465 - no problem. But this then automatically changes the incoming pop3 port from its default to 995 which prevents my pop3 from discountasp to receive e-mail.

So I am darned if I do and darned if I don't. If I use the discountasp mail server then I cannot use SSL restrictions and my ISP won't let me send mail. If I use my ISP for smtp then I cannot receive mail from my own domain and I don't want to use yahoo for pop3 since I only get e-mail from my own domains so it would be pointless.

Surely there must be a way to leave the pop3 port alone while using my isp's smtp to send mail, or is this a stupid question?

thanks for the insight.
    madvox

2. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

Try connect to our SMTP server, smtp.yourdomain.com, over port 587. If this works, you don't have to deal w/ the ATT BS.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

3. Absolutely!!! That freaking did it (sorry for my enthusiasm). This now allows me to cut ATT out of the process completely. Thanks Bruce.

BTW - the ATT support person did not understand my question. That was kind of expected...

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.