Authentication Error - web.sitemap Error - Please HELP

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by joelnet, Jul 13, 2006.

1. "Exception Details: System.InvalidOperationException: The file web.sitemap required by XmlSiteMapProvider does not exist."

Do you have a web.sitemap in the root of your application?

Joel Thoms
    DiscountASP.NET
    http://www.DiscountASP.NET

2. I just uploaded my site - which works perfectly in my local computer (I use VS2005)

I get an Authentication Error in my web.config file :

Line 49: ASP.NET to identify an incoming user.
    Line 50: -->
    Line 51: <authentication mode='Windows'/>
    Line 52: <!--
    Line 53: The <customErrors> section enables configuration

Well, I don 't know what to do so I erase the whole authentication mode from the web.config file and it works after that.

After I pass this stage, I have another error message:

Server Error in '/' Application.
    Parser Error
    Description: An error occurred during the parsing of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific parse error details and modify your source file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: The file '/MasterPage.master' does not exist.

Source Error:

Line 1: <%@ Page Language='VB' MasterPageFile='~/MasterPage.master' AutoEventWireup='false' CodeFile='Default2.aspx.vb' Inherits='Default2' title='Untitled Page' %>
    Line 2: <asp:Content ID='Content1' ContentPlaceHolderID='ContentPlaceHolder1' Runat='Server'>
    Line 3: </asp:Content>

Source File: /testTemplates/content2.aspx Line: 1

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.42
    [

For some reason this happens because of : '~/MasterPage.master'
    If I replace it with '~/MasterPage.master' it works

But the I have the same kind of Error, (a file cannot be found again) this time on another control

Server Error in '/' Application.
    The file web.sitemap required by XmlSiteMapProvider does not exist.
    Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.InvalidOperationException: The file web.sitemap required by XmlSiteMapProvider does not exist.

What did I do wrong?
    Please help me...

3. Thanks for your reply, of course I have the file in the root of my application.

But I didn 't know that I have to go to the Web Application Tool and set the subfolder (where the site resides) as a new root for an application.
    Thus, all the relative links to the root of my website just did not work.

All solved now, thanks!