Basic problem connecting to SQL Server DB from ASP.NET app (web.config)

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by hypothetico, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Greetings,

Please see the transcript of the email below - it is self explanatory: (I have of course substituted *s for my DB password.)

Thanks,

Bruce

Dear Sir,
    I'd love to help you but our policy do not allow us to provide assistance with coding related issue.
    Please post your question to our community forum at http://community.discountasp.net. Our developers and other users are very eager to help out our users.
    DiscountASP.NET
    The power of ASP.NET for less
    On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 20:15:51 -0800,[email protected] wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    >
    >
    > I have attached my Web.config file. The connection string is:
    >
    >
    >
    > <add name="hdConnectionString"> connectionString="Server=sql2k501.discountasp.net;Data> Source=sql2k501;Initial Catalog=SQL2005_198211_hd;User ID=SQL2005_198211_hd_user;Password=********" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />
    >
    > The error I get is Below. You can experience it yourself by visiting
    > http://www.xeowoolfe.com/xw_profile/xw_register.aspx and trying to
    > register;
    >
    > I can't find any other connection strings hiding anywhere. Perhaps my
    > provider attribute is wrong?
    >
    >
    > Thanks Kindly for your time,
    >
    > Bruce

I have no idea whichof the following four reasons specified below is my problem...

Server Error in '/' Application.

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)
    Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

SQLExpress database file auto-creation error:

The connection string specifies a local Sql Server Express instance using a database location within the applications App_Data directory. The provider attempted to automatically create the application services database because the provider determined that the database does not exist. The following configuration requirements are necessary to successfully check for existence of the application services database and automatically create the application services database:

1. If the applications App_Data directory does not already exist, the web server account must have read and write access to the applications directory. This is necessary because the web server account will automatically create the App_Data directory if it does not already exist.
    2. If the applications App_Data directory already exists, the web server account only requires read and write access to the applications App_Data directory. This is necessary because the web server account will attempt to verify that the Sql Server Express database already exists within the applications App_Data directory. Revoking read access on the App_Data directory from the web server account will prevent the provider from correctly determining if the Sql Server Express database already exists. This will cause an error when the provider attempts to create a duplicate of an already existing database. Write access is required because the web server accounts credentials are used when creating the new database.
    3. Sql Server Express must be installed on the machine.
    4. The process identity for the web server account must have a local user profile. See the readme document for details on how to create a local user profile for both machine and domain accounts.

Thanks Immensely,

Bruce

2. Yep - Mr Guthrie's article, as cited in this forum by the forum moderator, helped me out of this one.

See weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/08/25/423703.aspx

I used the procedure described in the articles and removed and added the LocalSQLServer provider connection string, altering the provider settings appropriately.

Thanks to moderator and Mr Guthrie.

Bruc

3. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

4. Yes - Ta very much.