Beta to offical release

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by SEAN432, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Currently using VS 2003 on .Net 1.1 and I currently don?t have SQL Server (I know its cheap)
    </o:p>
    Sitting on my desk is VS 2005 beta 2 and SQL 2005 beta 2.
    I am starting a brand new website and I really want to use the Community Starter Kit to do so only from what I have read, I need SQL on my local machine for it to work. Now I have SQL 2005 beta but installing that means installing everything .Net 2.0 related. I don?t have a problem buying SQL 2000 just to get my app started but it seems retarded to start something new on an old platform.
    My concern is that if I upgrade everything to beta 2 when the official release comes out my apps will not work because I am sure they are not concerned with backward compatibility with beta 2as they arefor.Net 1.1 /1.0 and I am sure web hosting sites will hurry to kill ASP.NET beta and move to 2.0.
    So?do I start making my web app in beta 2, wait a few weeks, or suck it up and make it all 1.1? This is my dilemma. Additional concern is the fact that my current version of VS 2003 is an academic version and given I am no longer enrolled I might have to wait awhile before getting another academic version of VS 2005.
    Suggestions?

2. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

3. stick w/SQL 2000...btw, what SQL 2005 makes much difference? Maybe, prettier UI?[​IMG]

Jason
    Technical Support/IT Admin/MIS Developer
    Maxtop Enterprises Inc.
    http://www.maxtop.ca</CODE>