Blackberry not receiving any email

Discussion in 'Email' started by scot, May 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.
  1. I just switched my domain to DASP and have 8 SmartMail user accounts. Everyone can get & send email fine in Outlook and can send email from their Blackberry's but cannot receive any mail to their BB.

I've searched the internet for a solution but have only found problems related to dropped messages not connection problems. I tried various SPF record settings without success.

Anyone else using Blackberry's with SmartMail? Any help would be most appreciated.

- Scott.

PS: Messages are sitting in SmartMail Inbox - so this is not the common problem where user's have downloaded email to Outlook before BB service checks for new messages.

2. First, SPF is related to sending mail not receiving. Making incorrect changes to your SPF record can cause your sent mail to not be accepted.

In regards to your issue, are you getting any error messages? Do the messages simply not arrive? I can tell you generally speaking 90% of the time, its a simple oversight of settings. I suggest you check and recheck them against your Outlook that does work.

The other 10% of issues are usually related to the device or network. Try poping another account. Let us know what you find.

3. Chuck thanks for clearing up my confusion regarding SPF. Now I know that is not the issue.

The email configuration for a BB is fairly simple. The only settings are domain name & password. There are not separate settings for pop3 & smtp. Actually don't need an smtp address for a BB since it is using the carrier's BIS to send mail.

I purposely used the same password for each user account when I moved my domain to DASP so the switch would be seamless. All the Outlook accounts worked the next day without exception, only the four BB's failed to receive mail. So I know I transferred the passwords correctly and the Blackberry has a desktop utility that can automatically import the email config from Outlook, but that did not help either.

I will try poping another account.

- Scott.

4. Problem solved. The issue was due to the fact that the 'SSL' option was selected for my previous providers mail server. I had considered this, but each time I tried to disable 'SSL' and save the change the BIS server would come back with an error indicating the server info was invalid (even thought it was actually correct). I finally had to delete the old account and create a new account (with SSL deselected) and voila - it worked.

I think there is a minor bug in the BIS software where it verifies account changes (ie: mail server name) using the saved SSL setting rather than the edited SSL option. So essentially there is no way to ever change the SSL setting once you've committed to an initial setting without deleting the account and creating a new one.

Also, the correct setting for the "Domain Name" for the mail account was in fact "pop3.mydomain.com", and not "mydomain.com" as I stated in my previous post. Every time I entered "pop3.mydomain.com" the BB software kept truncating the "pop3" from the domain name after each failed attempt, so naturally I assumed the BIS was looking for the plain domain name (sans "pop3") for the "Domain Name" setting (could they have made this anymore confusing!!!).

Hope this helps someone else...

- Scott.

5. mjp

mjp

Scott, it will help others. We get a lot of questions about Blackberry in the support queue, but we can't really troubleshoot problems with specific devices. Thanks for following up.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.