Can someone help me on setting up this procedure on ASP.NET

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by bigmike40, Oct 7, 2006.

1. Do you have a local copy of SQL Server 2000 or 2005?

The Import and Export database tools will do all the work for you if so.
    It helps to create a new blank database first, noting special just a blank new database.

If you have a local copy of the Enterprise tools I can step you through it.
    If you don't and you're going to migrate your express DB to a DASP SQL Server Bruce or one of the other DASP guys can help with that.

2. I'm using the free version of SQL EXPRESS and i wanted to configure it to

use the SQL 2000 database .I'm using VWD05 and visual studio management

So When you say create a blank data basewhere do i start?

3. With the local database engines you create a new database in the management window.

You can do the same with the database tools in Express.
    This KB article explains uploading a database and attaching it.
    http://kb.discountasp.net/article.aspx?id=10432

4. I think i need to configure SQL EXPRESS first like what is in this article

http://kb.discountasp.net/article.aspx?id=10413
    1. Open the command prompt on your local computer, and navigate to: C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727
    2. Execute the command: aspnet_regsql.exe -S [DB Server Name] -U [DB login] -P [Password] -A all -d [Database name]
    3. But my question is, do i put in my database name for database and server name for the server name in the bracket then execute the command?

5. Well the server is SQL2000, so i cannot connect via SQLExpress.
    And whenever i tryed to i get the famous error 26 and all my TCP/IP remote
    aresetup correct.So thought if i were to configure ASP>NET using the article it would work.I'm a newbie so some of the procedure is kindof confusing

6. You can indeed connect to your remote SQL Server 2000 via Visual Studio 2005 Express.
    Use the Server tools in VS to connect.
    Once you see your remote database drag one of the tables onto an ASPX page in VS.
    Use the Debug option to run the page, it will create the web.config for you with the remote data server.

If you want to see this in action go to www.asp.net and watch the videos, each one is compatible with the Express products.

7. What I would suggest is getting your data on-line first then connecting to the remote SQL Server via your Express product.

From that point it can create the web.config for you and the connection will be correct.

You can then place your local code files on the remote server...should be seamless.