Can't Update .DLL's using FTP

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by wisemx, Mar 19, 2008.

1. This one is outside of my expertisebut Bruce may have something for you. [​IMG]
    Salute,
    Mark

2. jc1

jc1

When I am updating an entire website, .aspx, ascx, .dll's, graphics, etc. I usually always get an error msg using my FTP client that states they couldn't update a particular business .dll because it is being used by another process.

Actual error msg:
    The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

The logical person would recycle IIS or Stop and Start IIS or Change the ASP.NET Runtime or Change the Web.Config file to purge or remove the web applications references.

Well nothing helps get that reference out of memory and I have to basically wait it out (5-30+ min) until I can complete the update for my website.

Any ideas?Why the heck doesn't a DiscountASP.NET recycle purge the site memory? Some sites do this while others don't exhibit this behavior - I am at a loss but getting more and more frustrated.

ASP.NET ERROR MSG:
    Could not load file or assembly 'Genericity.PostSolution.BIZ' or one of its dependencies. The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070020)
    Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.IO.FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'Genericity.PostSolution.BIZ' or one of its dependencies. The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070020)

Sorry if this topic has been raised before but this forum has a less than ideal search tool.

Justin

Post Edited (jc1) : 3/19/2008 2:48:48 AM GMT

3. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

I think the problem has to do w/ the temporarily ASP.NET compiled file but i can't be sure.

I have never seen this error before.

Try the following steps

- stop the site from control panel (this stop all new visits)
    - recycle the application (wait 2 minutes - this is the timeout for recycling)
    - then try upload

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

4. jc1

jc1

I will try your sequence next time.

I am like both of you guys - I just can't think of what is happening. It really sucks when I have to update 5 or 6 sites and 4 or so can't copy over this particular DLL.

Best idea I have is that some one keeps hitting the site which keeps loading the .dll back into memory. Other than that I have never expeirenced this issue outside of discounts hosting platform.

I also have an issue with Microsoft on this because according to how they "describe" the .DLL modification on private assemblies this should never happen. Old threads should continue running on the old code while all new threads should use the new code until which time the old threads exit and the DLL is permanently removed from file system/memory.