Catchall account

Discussion in 'Email' started by pcdebb, Sep 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.
  1. Hello all,

Currently I have misdirected emails being bounced (they send to stephen but should be steven for example), but would like these directed to me (postmaster). On other accounts I was able to just label an account as the catchall account but I"m not finding that info too easily. I'm in the control panel and my smartermail interface and the kb didnt have any instructions.

any assistance would be greatly appreciated

2. Hi,
    I think the Primary is the Catch all.
    You can makeyour User accounts Primary.
    The new version of SmarterMail also has something for Aliases called Catch all, but I haven't checked into it yet.
    You can find that in the Web interface.
    Salute,
    Mark

3. Hi wisemx,

I assumed the primary was the catchall, but when sending a test email it bounced, so catchall isnt turned on I guess. If i add an alias, i have to specify another account, do I name it catchall or something? I've never configured a catchall this way so that's why I'm a bit confused. What is the new version? mine shows as 5.5

edit: creating an alias named catchall doesnt work

Post Edited (pcdebb) : 9/13/2008 9:19:09 PM GMT

4. Hi,
    That is the new version.

Their on-line help is here:
    http://help.smartertools.com/SmarterMail/v5/

Click Search on that page and enter: Catch all
    You may need to click the Search button twice but it will return a bunch of links.
    Salute,
    Mark

5. Apparently the catchall had to be enabled on my account, now I see the button and everything after I submitted a trouble ticket.

6. Cool [​IMG]

Sorry about taking so long to check this post...I have three young kidsthat whoop me all weekend long.

7. perhaps something is wrong with my account? I'm not seeing what they are saying......

I dont see a "set catch-all" button on any "action toolbar". I also dont see an Accounts folder under the DomainSettings treeview. All I have is General Settings, Users, Aliases, etc. I'm totally not seeing what they are describing. I'm in the webmail panel for this under the postmaster account. When i create an alias it makes me put in an address to forward to. I dont understand what I"m doing wrong.

8. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

yeah.. catchall create a lot of problem on the server (mail bomb, customer not checking the catchall and it fills up, etc.). We have decided to disable it by default and it is offered on request only.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

9. thank you bruce,

i actually WANT to see what's coming in. one of the email accounts had an explosion of spam a few weeks ago, so i killed the old accounts but still want to watch just in case legit email still trinkles in. Once I trust in the spam headers are labeling the emails correctlyI will just start dumping those at the server.

Thread Status:
Threads that have been inactive for 5 years or longer are closed to further replies. Please start a new thread.