Community Server continually starting/stopping....

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by thegyorf, May 14, 2007.

1. Ever since I setup my website and installed Community Server (2.1 at the time), I would occasionally get CS stop/start events in the CS event log. Normally wasn't more than a handful a day and while annoying it wasn't that impacting.

Fast forward to today, I have upgraded to CS 2007 and am now getting stop/start events basically every 5 minutes. And to complicate matters something about CS has changed & it is forcing relogins after every one of these events.

Given this event message:

CS.Web Stopped CS.Web Stopped

_shutDownMessage=HostingEnvironment caused shutdown

I would guess the app pool is recycling over and over again. So my question is, is there anything that I can do to fix this?? Is there any way to confirm my suspicion that the app pool is recycling??

2. Hi thegyorf,

Your post stopped me in my tracks!
    Why? Because I'm just about to install CS2007 SP1 on DASP.

Sad to say I don't have an answer to your problem.
    The only things that come to mind are to wonder:

1: -Are you using the SP1 version of CS2007?
    and
    2: Will CS2007 SP1 fix your problem?

Sounds like a DASP trouble ticket issue to me.
    It seems to me thatthe DASP super techies should be ableto look at their logs and see exactly what is causing your problem.

Hope this helps

Ken

3. Unfortunately I am running the 2007 SP1 :(

I went ahead and put in a helpdesk ticket, I just wanted to see if anyone here had any experience with this first and had any ideas of things I could try.

4. It does sound like that the servers are recycling your application. Their are three conditions enforced by the system that when met, will recycle the applicaiton. These conditions are...

1) More than 20 minutes of idle time (no http request in 20 minutes)
    2) The application uses more than 100 MB memory
    3) The application uses more than 75% of CPU time

If any of these thresehold are exceded your web application will be restarted. The best way to find out which conditions are triggering your application to be recycled is to setup a testing environment on your local machine and monitor these conditions. I don't think you are triggering the 20 minute idle time thresehold, so I would concentrate on the CPU and memory usage.

5. I suspect it will end up being memory usage but I won't be able to confirm until tonight. Which is kind of sad considering my site is pretty small, I guess CS 2007 is an even bigger hog than 2.1 was. But I could probably live with the recycling if it wasn't causing my users to have to log back in every time the app recycled.

I just have no idea what is causing that and since only one other person has mentioned it on the CS.org forums, it looks like it is a rare issue :(