Complicated Update panel problem

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by reharik, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Hi, I hope someone can help me with this. And i hope I can articulate it coherently.

I have a scheduler app. on one page there is monday through sunday across the top and say 7 am to 7 pm down the side. on another page I have just one day ( the current day ) with the same hours. if you click on any cell in either grid you get a modal popup extender with a user control inside. It's the same control for either page. Actually they are both user controls on seperate pages.

here is the break down of update panels.

each of the two user contols is in a cond. update panel with children as triggers turned off. this update panel is on the user page around the user control.

Inside the user control ,the grid has an cond. update panel around it.

the user control inside the modal popup is in a seperate cond. update panel.

the user control inside the modal popup has some dropdowns etc that are in an update panel.

So here's the problem. the week view page is rather complicated and takes about 4 sec. to load on initial visit. The day view by comparison is much simpler and thus only take 1 or 2 sec to load. now inside the popup control which is the same for both pages, when you click on a drop down which causes a post back in teh weekview page it takes the same amount of time as the page does to load. so it takes ~ +4 secs for each postback inside teh update panel. on the day view it only takes a second or two. Now the client say that it takes about 10 sec for the week and is really quick on the day view. who knows about that but it seems that the update panel takes as long as the damn page to post back. I would think it would only take a second since I'm just posting a drop down list and a textbox.

Thanks for any thoughts you may have.

Raif