Custom Error Handling by URL vs. File

Discussion in 'HTML / PHP / JavaScript / CSS' started by lelady, Feb 5, 2010.

1. I am trying to setup a custom 404 error handler as provided to me by my shopping cart provider.

I have added the path to my 404.asp page in IIS, but I need to specify in the control panel that the 404 error is handled by a URL vs. a file. This is the Message Type property in IIS.

Is this possible with DASP? I was also told many servers autodetect this ( URL vs. File) so I went ahead and added the path to the page, but I'm still receiving an error.

Thanks!

2. no reponses yet, arg.

Ok - here is a link to what I am trying to accomplish.

http://wiki.earlyimpact.com/productcart/seo-urls

Really it seems that I only need to know if the message type property in IIS is handling custom 404 errors as files or urls.

Thanks!

3. mjp

mjp

If you're on IIS7 you have control over customer errors using IIS Manager.

Personally I wouldn't alter my 404 behavior the way they suggest, but that's just me. You can go too far in some of this magic "SEO" stuff, and hurt yourself more than you help yourself. I don't know if that's the case here, but I really don't see the benefit in SEO on an error page anyway. If - as they contend - Google is still going to see it as an error, they are not going to index it. So any "optimization" is moot.