data store

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by datawiz1, Oct 26, 2005.

1. I can no longer configure my website even on the local machine after running the aspnet_regsql.exe command. I tried removing from my local sql server, and then running it to my local sql server. Nothing works.

I even ran the aspnet_regsql.exe command to configure my sql db at discountasp.net. I then changed it to configure my local machine again.

Error when I try to configure the website:
    Could not establish a connection to the database.
    If you have not yet created the SQL Server database, exit the Web Site Administration tool, use the aspnet_regsql command-line utility to create and configure the database, and then return to this tool to set the provider.

Any suggestions on other websites I can look at that might have the answer?

I've looked at microsoft forums but there is very little on the beta 2 version and this problem.

<remove name="LocalSqlServer" />

<add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="Data Source=mssql06.discountasp.net;

Initial Catalog = DB_93916; User Id=thedatawizc; Password=*******"/>

Do y'all think I will have to wait until the final release so that I can get help from Microsoft?

I have several clients which will probably want to purchase space at discountasp.net but I can't make this happen until I can get something working.

thanks to anyone who would have mercy here!

Penny

<input id=ctl00_ctl00_ctl00_content_content_confirmation_dialogBottomRightButton_OKButton style="WIDTH: 75px" type=submit value=OK name=ctl00$ctl00$ctl00$content$content$confirmation$dialogBottomRightButton$OKButton>

2. I found the solution. There were some helps from other posts, but I didn't have the right order and details:

I ran the aspnet_regsql.exe on my DB_93916 database at discountasp.net to build the appropriate tables.

All I had to do was to change the web.config: <connectionStrings>

<remove name="LocalSqlServer"/>

<add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="Data Source=MSSQL06.DISCOUNTASP.NET;Initial Catalog=DB_93916;User Id=myuserid;password=mypassword"

providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>

</connectionStrings>

AFTER I changed the web.config (while I was in vs2005 on my local machine), I was able to then go in to the Website / Asp Configuration and run the wizard and everything worked. When I looked at the remote table for users, the new user I just created was there.

I then just moved my new web.config to the sandbox (I removed the aspnetdb.mdf,.ldf that I had copied there before to the app_data folder).

Now security is working on my website!

Hope this helps someone else. Prior posts spoke about the change to the web.config file, but they did not say that "after" you reconfigured the web.config file, that you could then use the wizard to create the new users remotely.

I found a good article at http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/08/25/432703.aspx.

Penny

3. I have tried the steps you outlined to get Security working(as well as those in the link you provided), and I am stuck on a couple of issues. I am running Visual Studio 2005 Express (final release) and connecting to my discountasp.net SQL Server 2005 database. I do not have SQL Server Express installed (I uninstalled it and reinstalled VSE, because I thinkSSE was causing part of the problem.)

1. Did you have to run the aspnet_regsql utility to enable your discountasp.net SQL Server 2005 database to be ready to use with asp.net 2.0? I tried running this utility to setup my discountasp.net SQL Server 2005 database and received the error shown below.

2. In VSE, I choose Website, ASP.net Configuration. I go to the Provider Configuration tab, and Test the AspNetSqlProvider and it says it is able to successfully establish a connection to the database. However, when I go the the Security tab, I get the following error:

There is a problem with your selected data store. This can be caused by an invalid server name or credentials, or by insufficient permission. It can also be caused by the role manager feature not being enabled. Click the button below to be redirected to a page where you can choose a new data store.

The following message may help in diagnosing the problem: Could not find stored procedure 'dbo.aspnet_CheckSchemaVersion'.

Any help much appreciated,

Randy

---------------------

ERROR associated with #1 above:

--------------------------------------------

Setup failed.

Exception:
    An error occurred during the execution of the SQL file 'InstallCommon.sql'. The SQL error number is 8152 and the SqlException message is: String or binary data would be truncated.

----------------------------------------
    Details of failure

SQL Server:
    Database: [SQL2005_150328_master]
    SQL file loaded:
    InstallCommon.sql

Commands failed:

CREATE TABLE #aspnet_Permissions
    (
    Owner sysname,
    Object sysname,
    Grantee sysname,
    Grantor sysname,
    ProtectType char(10),
    [Action] varchar(20),
    [Column] sysname
    )

INSERT INTO #aspnet_Permissions
    EXEC sp_helprotect

IF (EXISTS (SELECT name
    FROM sysobjects
    WHERE (name = N'aspnet_Setup_RestorePermissions')
    AND (type = 'P')))
    DROP PROCEDURE [dbo].aspnet_Setup_RestorePermissions

SQL Exception:
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: String or binary data would be truncated.
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteNonQueryTds(String methodName, Boolean async)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(DbAsyncResult result, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
    at System.Web.Management.SqlServices.ExecuteFile(String file, String server, String database, String dbFileName, SqlConnection connection, Boolean sessionState, Boolean isInstall, SessionStateType sessionStatetype)

4. Interesting idea...how would you go about scripting/exporting?

5. Here is what I did.

I ran aspnet_reqsql.exe against local db server (not .\SQLEXPRESS). I left all default settings in the wizard. A new database aspnetdb is automatically created. Right click aspnetdb > Script Database as > Create To > Clipboard.Connected tosql2k501.discountasp.net from object explorer. Right clicked my database chose New Query. Ctrl + V to paste sql. Execute. Modify web.config file to reflect discount asp connection string. Upload VWD project.

NowI get:

System.Configuration.Provider.ProviderException: The 'System.Web.Security.SqlRoleProvider' requires a database schema compatible with schema version '1'. However, the current database schema is not compatible with this version. You may need to either install a compatible schema with aspnet_regsql.exe (available in the framework installation directory), or upgrade the provider to a newer version.

I'm actually happy to get a different error message than before. I did see another post that recommended to run aspnet_regsql -S mssql07.discountasp.net -U [your SQL login] -P [your SQL password] -sqlexportonly c:\name.sql -A all -d [your database name] to update the schemas on my sql2k501.discountasp.net database. I'll be trying this one tonight.

6. Randy, I get the same error as you indicated in #1. Should we be running aspnet_reqsql locally and then scripting/exportingthe db objects?

7. OK, making progress...thanks for the help.

I need a few clarifications.I am using Wisual Web Developer 2005 Express and have a local SQL Server 2005 Express and a remote SQL Server 2005 on discountasp.net. I am also using the Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express. Based on this, can you tell which programs you are using for the items you specify in the first paragraph? I cannot find those menu choices in my programs.

I also tried the suggestion from your second paragraph, and was able to produce the name.sql file. Now, I have a newbie question: how do a run this sql script against my discountasp.net SQL Server 2005 instance?

8. Foget my second paragraph...I pasted the sql script into SQL Server Management Studio Express, Parsed it and it checked out OK. Then, I executed the query....got it to run...I thought it was going to work, and then it started bombing out with several permissions-related errors (I would think discountasp.net people should be able to solve those for us). Here are the errors: (sorry for the length)

---------------------------------------

Starting execution of InstallCommon.SQL

Msg 8152, Level 16, State 2, Line 3

String or binary data would be truncated.

Creating the aspnet_Applications table...

Creating the aspnet_Users table...

Creating the aspnet_SchemaVersions table...

Cannot grant, deny, or revoke permissions to sa, dbo, information_schema, sys, or yourself.

Cannot grant, deny, or revoke permissions to sa, dbo, information_schema, sys, or yourself.

(0 row(s) affected)

(1 row(s) affected)

Creating the vw_aspnet_Applications view...

Creating the vw_aspnet_Users view...

Completed execution of InstallCommon.SQL

-------------------------------------------

Starting execution of InstallMembership.SQL

-------------------------------------------

Creating the aspnet_Membership table...

Creating the vw_aspnet_MembershipUsers view...

(0 row(s) affected)

(1 row(s) affected)

Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 5

Cannot find the object 'aspnet_Membership_GetUserByUserId', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 6

Cannot find the object 'aspnet_Membership_GetUserByName', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 7

Cannot find the object 'aspnet_Membership_GetUserByEmail', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 8

Cannot find the object 'aspnet_Membership_GetPassword', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 9

Cannot find the object 'aspnet_Membership_GetPasswordWithFormat', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 10

Cannot find the object 'aspnet_Membership_UpdateUserInfo', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 11

Cannot find the object 'aspnet_Membership_GetNumberOfUsersOnline', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 12

Cannot find the object 'aspnet_CheckSchemaVersion', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 13

Cannot find the object 'aspnet_RegisterSchemaVersion', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 14

Cannot find the object 'aspnet_UnRegisterSchemaVersion', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 19

Cannot find the object 'aspnet_Membership_GetUserByUserId', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 20

Cannot find the object 'aspnet_Membership_GetUserByName', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 21

Cannot find the object 'aspnet_Membership_GetUserByEmail', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 22

Cannot find the object 'aspnet_Membership_GetAllUsers', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 23

Cannot find the object 'aspnet_Membership_GetNumberOfUsersOnline', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 24

Cannot find the object 'aspnet_Membership_FindUsersByName', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 25

Cannot find the object 'aspnet_Membership_FindUsersByEmail', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 26

Cannot find the object 'aspnet_CheckSchemaVersion', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 27

Cannot find the object 'aspnet_RegisterSchemaVersion', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 28

Cannot find the object 'aspnet_UnRegisterSchemaVersion', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 33

Cannot find the object 'aspnet_Users_DeleteUser', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 35

Cannot find the object 'aspnet_Membership_CreateUser', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 36

Cannot find the object 'aspnet_Membership_SetPassword', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 37

Cannot find the object 'aspnet_Membership_ResetPassword', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 38

Cannot find the object 'aspnet_Membership_UpdateUser', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 39

Cannot find the object 'aspnet_Membership_ChangePasswordQuestionAndAnswer', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 40

Cannot find the object 'aspnet_Membership_UnlockUser', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 45

Cannot find the object 'vw_aspnet_Applications', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 46

Cannot find the object 'vw_aspnet_Users', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 48

Cannot find the object 'vw_aspnet_MembershipUsers', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Completed execution of InstallMembership.SQL

------------------------------------------------

Starting execution of InstallProfile.SQL

Creating the aspnet_Profile table...

Creating the vw_aspnet_Profiles view...

(0 row(s) affected)

(1 row(s) affected)

Cannot find the object 'aspnet_Profile_GetProperties', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Cannot find the object 'aspnet_Profile_SetProperties', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Cannot find the object 'aspnet_Profile_GetNumberOfInactiveProfiles', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 15

Cannot find the object 'aspnet_Profile_GetProfiles', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 16

Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 17

Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 18

Cannot find the object 'aspnet_Profile_DeleteProfiles', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Cannot find the object 'aspnet_Profile_DeleteInactiveProfiles', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 29

Cannot find the object 'vw_aspnet_Applications', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 30

Cannot find the object 'vw_aspnet_Users', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 32

Cannot find the object 'vw_aspnet_Profiles', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

-------------------------------------------------

Completed execution of InstallProfile.SQL

--------------------------------------

Starting execution of InstallRoles.SQL

--------------------------------------

Creating the aspnet_Roles table...

Creating the aspnet_UsersInRoles table...

Creating the vw_aspnet_Roles view...

Creating the vw_aspnet_UsersInRoles view...

(0 row(s) affected)

(1 row(s) affected)

Cannot find the object 'aspnet_UsersInRoles_IsUserInRole', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Cannot find the object 'aspnet_UsersInRoles_GetRolesForUser', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Cannot find the object 'aspnet_UsersInRoles_IsUserInRole', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Cannot find the object 'aspnet_UsersInRoles_GetRolesForUser', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Cannot find the object 'aspnet_Roles_RoleExists', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Cannot find the object 'aspnet_UsersInRoles_GetUsersInRoles', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Cannot find the object 'aspnet_UsersInRoles_FindUsersInRole', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 19

Cannot find the object 'aspnet_Roles_GetAllRoles', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 20

Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 21

Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 22

Cannot find the object 'aspnet_Roles_CreateRole', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 29

Cannot find the object 'aspnet_Roles_DeleteRole', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 30

Cannot find the object 'aspnet_UsersInRoles_AddUsersToRoles', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 31

Cannot find the object 'aspnet_UsersInRoles_RemoveUsersFromRoles', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 36

Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 37

Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 39

Cannot find the object 'vw_aspnet_Roles', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Cannot find the object 'vw_aspnet_UsersInRoles', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Completed execution of InstallRoles.SQL

Starting execution of InstallPersonalization.SQL

Creating the aspnet_Paths table...

Creating the aspnet_PersonalizationAllUsers table...

Creating the aspnet_PersonalizationPerUser table...

Creating the vw_aspnet_WebPartState_Paths view...

Creating the vw_aspnet_WebPartState_Shared view...

Creating the vw_aspnet_WebPartState_User view...

(0 row(s) affected)

(1 row(s) affected)

Cannot find the object 'aspnet_Paths_CreatePath', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Cannot find the object 'aspnet_PersonalizationAllUsers_GetPageSettings', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Cannot find the object 'aspnet_PersonalizationPerUser_GetPageSettings', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Cannot find the object 'aspnet_PersonalizationAllUsers_ResetPageSettings', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 10

Cannot find the object 'aspnet_PersonalizationPerUser_ResetPageSettings', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Cannot find the object 'aspnet_PersonalizationAllUsers_SetPageSettings', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 12

Cannot find the object 'aspnet_PersonalizationPerUser_SetPageSettings', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Cannot find the object 'aspnet_Personalization_GetApplicationId', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Cannot find the object 'aspnet_PersonalizationAdministration_FindState', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Cannot find the object 'aspnet_PersonalizationAdministration_GetCountOfState', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 26

Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 27

Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 33

Cannot find the object 'aspnet_PersonalizationAdministration_ResetUserState', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 34

Cannot find the object 'aspnet_PersonalizationAdministration_ResetSharedState', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 35

Cannot find the object 'aspnet_PersonalizationAdministration_DeleteAllState', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 41

Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 43

Cannot find the object 'vw_aspnet_WebPartState_Paths', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 44

Cannot find the object 'vw_aspnet_WebPartState_Shared', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 45

Cannot find the object 'vw_aspnet_WebPartState_User', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Completed execution of InstallPersonalization.SQL

----------------------------------------------------

Starting execution of InstallWebEventSqlProvider.SQL

----------------------------------------------------

Creating the aspnet_WebEvent_Events table...

Cannot find the object 'aspnet_WebEvent_LogEvent', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 13

(0 row(s) affected)

(1 row(s) affected)

-----------------------------------------------------

Completed execution of InstallWebEventSqlProvider.SQL

-----------------------------------------------------

9. What I failed to mention is that, even with all the errors, many/most of the Security/Role/Membership tables appear to have been created and the ASP.Net Configuration Wizard on the Security tab appears to be working (none of this I can really trust though with all of the permission errors I was getting on that last script!)

10. We are using the same tools. VWD and SSMSECTP with discount asp site and SQL SVR 2005 add-on.

I got the exact same errors when executingname.sql. I hope they don't have SQL SVR so locked down we can't use it.However, I was able to get Personal Web Site templateto work. Now, I just have to figure out how to make myself an admin of the site.

Yeah, this is quite a bit of effort. I'm still not satisfied that this isthe final solution.

11. I e-mailed discountasp.net support and they "relaxed the permissions" on my SQL Server instance. I re-ran the scripts and reduced the errors by probably 70%...still some errors, but a lot fewer.

Andmy Security, membership, roles, profiles, etc. functionality is working without error so far...

Thanks for your help on writing the script to the file...that did the trick.

Randy

12. sometimes you have to manually delete (drop) the relevant tables/views from the database. the process of aspnet_regsql -R blablabla might not be enough since it does not delete tables that have data inside them (which is fine).