Database connection problem using VWD 2005 Express Membership feature...

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by rgervin, Mar 9, 2006.

1. I've developed a website using Visual Web Developer 2005 Express. I utilized the 'Membership' feature of this product for client logins and new account setups. The login and account setup work fine on my home computer. The membership information is in a database named ASPNETDB.MDF and in a folder named App_Data. Both the database name and the folder location are defaults assigned by VWD 2005 Express.

After deploying the site to DiscountASP.net and trying to log in, I get the following error message:

Server Error in '/' Application.
    An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

The connection string in my web.config file is:

<connectionStrings>
    <remove name='LocalSqlServer' />
    <add name='LocalSqlServer' connectionString='Data Source=.\SQLExpress;Integrated Security=True;User Instance=True;AttachDBFilename=|DataDirectory|ASPNETDB.MDF' />
    </connectionStrings>

Any assistance is appreciated.

2. You cannot run sql express in a live environment, it can only run in a dev environment.

Joel Thoms
    DiscountASP.NET
    http://www.DiscountASP.NET

3. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff