Deleting folders and files

Discussion in 'General troubleshooting' started by nonrhino, Nov 10, 2007.

1. I'm really new at this and am probably missing the obvious. I created a site on my machine that works great. I thought uploading to a remote server would be simple. That was a month ago and I'm still trying without success. I have learned a lot but apparently not enough. In the process I've uploaded a bunch of folders and files I'd like to delete. I need a clean slate; a new beginning. Problem is I can't figure out how to delete everything. Some folders and files will not go. An error message says something like an error occurred and the file/folder can't be deleted, see log for details. The log provides no detail at all, it just repeats the message that the files or folders could not be deleted. Any thoughts on this? Anybody? Please.

2. Do you also have frontpage server extensions installed. If you do I suggest taking it off our account and sticking with FTP. Also, give a copy of your ftp log on this thread so we can look through it.

rcp
    DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

3. mjp

mjp

Ditto what Mark said; WebExplorer Lite will make quick work of killing those "undeletable" files and directories.

mjp
    ---
    DiscountASP.NET

4. Let me share this from experience...

I was testing the new version of PHP forums for one of the DASP customers.
    When it was time to remove them there were several locked folders I couldn't remove.

Tried with Macromedia Studio 2004 MX and Visual Studio 2005 Pro.

WebExplorer to the rescue...It made short work of removing the test files and folders.

I've also been using it to D/L my SQL Server backups...
    A lot quicker than either of the tools I use to sync files with.
    Salute,
    Mark