Disaster Recovery on the mail server

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by ssherlock, Jan 14, 2006.

1. Shouldn't there be some form of Disaster Recovery in place for the mail server?

It crashed yesterday well over 12 hours ago, but if there was DR in place mail could have been flowing within 1-2 hours giving you plenty of breathing space to fix the main server.....

2. Agreed...I recall at least one other outage like this in the last year or so...I've been actively looking at other hosting providers because of this. Some are a lot cheaper, so even if they crash too, at least I'm saving money. Hopefully, I can find one that is more reliable though! A 12+ hour outage is ridiculous...should have had standby spare parts for the server...for every kind of server and disk system, router, etc in their data centers. If they can't afford this, then they should make it clear we are not getting any DR coverage and then they should start offering a premium service where you can pay extra to have your website and email services setup in a fully redundant setup. I just assume they at least have a few spare parts, and good service contracts with their server vendors....absolutely no reason for this long of an outage.

Ed Ketterer

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2018
  3. I appreciate that Joel but if you had two mirrored boxes and one goes t!ts up, you just switch over to the second (and that become the primary). You can fix the other in your leisure then and mail will still flow. Once fixed that machine becomes the secondary and so on.

4. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

Yeah.. We totally agreed.

However, clustered mail system on a large scale is not as simple as most think. Things get complicated when the volume of email is as large as our servers handle (~1 million per day) with close to 100,000 email account.

We've been building our next generation of the mail system for the last 10 months. The clustered system contains well over 10 servers. We are expecting to launch this in the next couple months.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

5. That's more like it. Thanks Bruce.

6. spare parts are not an issue, it's easy for us to simply "turn on" a machine. the majority of the time was spent recovering your data.

Joel Thoms

DiscountASP.NET
    http://www.DiscountASP.NET