Discountasp.net unable to run DotNetNuke or Community Server

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Mike Griffin, Feb 10, 2007.

1. My name is Mike Griffin from EntitySpaces at http://www.entityspaces.net and use use DotNetNuke, we just purchased a seperate site to run our Communtiy Server on another discountasp.net site, however, major problems. Discountasp.net's constraints are so low with memory and processor that both our DNN and CS sites are constantly killed and restarted, and with only 1 or 2 users on the sites. It's very unfortunately, we're going to have now look for dedicated solutions, our team is just astounded that we cannot run either of these very nice commercial products under discountasp.net.

2. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

Mike,

We have tested Community Server in our system and do not see any problem with memory usage with CS.

DNN, on the other hand, uses a lot of memory. I would have to disagree with you that we restrict each user's site to have too little memory, I think 100MB per process is already very reasonable. I just think DNN is simply a memory hog; do a simple comparison, open your computer's task manager and take a look at all the processes (you should not find anything over 100MB). Also check other ASP.NET starter kits, they use about 30 - 40MB.

In any case, I think DNN is addressing the problem with the latest version. Rumors are that the latest version has much better memory footprint.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

3. Hi Bruce,
    I'm considering installing Community Server on your service.
    As you suggested,I ran a test on my local machine.

With not very much going on I saw that CS triggered a process called aspnet_wp.exe that used 78,684K
    The next process on the list was sqlservr.exe using65,684K

There is a forum post under your ASP section that describes a frequent restart problem with Community Server and that suggests that the memory limits might be the problem.

I wondered ifthe tests that you ran were on the new Community Server 2007 SP1 or on an older version?

78.684K looks a bitclose to your 100MB limit

Care to comment?

Ken

PS - After I sent the first version of this post, Isaw that aspnet_wp.exe use has jumped to86,764K and sqlserver.exe is also up at 70.456K - Isn't that getting a bit too close to your 100MB limit for comfort?

Post Edited (ormer) : 5/15/2007 1:36:03 PM GMT

4. ...While we're on this, has anyone tested DNN 4.5 here?
    http://www.dotnetnuke.com/

DASP? If so, how has the memory usage turned out in the 4.5 release?

5. Bruce

Bruce DiscountASP.NET Staff

We tested Community Server 2007 (not aware there's an SP1)

My experience with these application is that once it load up, it doesn't leak much memory. Try in your local environment by keep hitting the site, the w3wp process memory usage should stay pretty flat. Don't worry about the SQL process (that is your SQL Express process).

WiseMX: we have also tested 4.5 but did not see much improvements on memory usage and loading speed.

Bruce

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

6. ...Thanks

I was going to give DNN 4.5 a spin for my mothers web ministries site here.

Tried the latest release of SubText but it still doesn't work properly from a sub folder.
    Word is it's intended to work from the root.

Once Valve's TF2 is out I'll probably build another large SDK community here.
    Until then the only account I have isn't mine at all. [​IMG]

7. Hello,

I am having the same problem as Mike Griffin, only my application is aspdotstorefront. I have about 700 products and my database is about 80megs. We have 2 admins and around 60 users average hitting the app. I have turned off the cache in the aspdotnetstorefront application, but still lose my session every5-10min instead of every 2-5 min with the cache on.Care to comment?

thanks for your time

eric

www.coastalkites.com

8. Question for Bruce (moderator) -

Seriously,I have a business to run. Should I ask for a refund and go somewhere else?

9. I am nowon the huntfor a new host that has a higher memory limit per application. I now realize my customers are having session problems too. I would like to stay here, but I can not keep losing my session because of limits.

1)Is aspdotnetstorefronttoo resource intensive foryour service?

2)Can we pay for more memory?

Thank you,
    Eric Butcher
    www.coastalkites.com

10. mjp

mjp