dll not found

Discussion in 'ASP.NET 2.0' started by dlowther, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Hi Everyone,

I've successfully uploaded my website to the discountasp.net server and everything works except I get this error when loading my site:

Unable to load DLL 'mapscript': The specified module could not be found.

This DLL is not a .NET assembly - its a just a DLL (COM?) - and I made sure to put it and all its dependancies into the bin directory of my site. In fact, I copied the entire site from a working web directory on my machine.

Does anyone know what paths are being searched by default when ASP.NET tries to load the DLL? Or - anything I might have to do to make this file be found?

Thanks,

Dave Lowther

2. Joel,

Thanks for the reply.

If .NET doesn't load non .NET dlls then I guess I don't understand what the word is, but the exception that is thrown is:

"Unable to load DLL 'mapscript': The specified module could not be found."

Maybe I should focus on the "not be found" portion of the exception as opposed to the load? If so, is there a way to enumerate the paths searched for files?

Thanks,
    Dave

3. Joel,

I was scanning other posts and came across this one:

"The runtime error you are getting is because the COM object is not registered on the server. hostswon't install customersCOM objects because of security issues. we are the same way."

Do you think this is my issue? I do not believe the object I am having issue with has to be registered.

Again, thanks for your help.

Dave

4. yeah ,if its a COM component,it needs to be registered on DASP servers and I believe Mapscript is a COM object.

Vikram

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

5. And is that something that I can do / can be done / is allowed?

6. Unless the COM object is registered on DASP servers,it cannot be used and DASP doesnt allow this.

Vikram

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET

7. Sorry to beat a dead horse, but are you SURE this is the issue? Using this DLL is required for my site. Once again, the error says "could not be found." Is it possible that the site is copied to another directory and this DLL does not come along?

8. After some research over the Mapscript object ,it seems that it needs several dll's on the DASP server and once again we dont support that,infact no shared host will support it.

Vikram

DiscountASP.NET
    www.DiscountASP.NET